1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL in Primary Sch

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Nazbeena, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Nazbeena

Nazbeena New commenter

Hi all,

I have completed my NQT year and will be starting the new year not only as a class teacher, but also the Modern Foreign Languages LEAD! :eek:
    I wanted to ask for any advice regarding subject leadership (especially if you're a fellow MFL lead ;)), useful websites/resources and any ideas!

A little context of the school:
    An inner city school where the school population is pretty much 90% EAL. The school's current perspective of MFL is it to just allow children to experience different languages (as so many of them are bilingual). Therefore MFL only really starts in Y3 and onwards. Each year group chooses their own language and is expected to teach it (no language teachers). However many classes don't get to fit it in their timetables at all and thus remains untaught by the end of the year. You've probably gathered, MFL is perceived as the least important and is usually the first to go when pressures of other subjects arise...

Thank you in advance!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Where do I start?
    There's so much I could say.
    The present School system sounds very disorganised and won't be helping the children at all.

General advice is to study one language to a decent level, before moving on to other languages. (I did once toy with the idea of alternate years but rapidly decided it would just be more confusing for the children.)

First thing I would do is an adit on resources and any expertise currently in School. If no-one is particularly confident a good 'Scheme' will be really important.

There's many ways to get 'language 'practice into other lessons, but this will be you being an example and the driving force. i wa sonce an advisor to a School to help develop this and that took two terms, so trying to encapsulate advice into one post is a bit difficult.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

You need to wave the national curriculum for KS2 languages in your HT's general direction! Children in KS2 are required to "make substantial progress in one language", and their language learning in KS2 should lay the foundations for learning in KS3. The current pattern of any old language each year will not enable this to happen. Can I suggest that you join the Languages in Primary Schools Facebook Group (LiPS) (make sure you answer the two questions to be allowed to join!) as there are many people in that group who'd be able to help you. Unfortunately this forum doesn't get many visitors anymore :(

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.