1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL in a special school

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by catt83, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Dear Joe,

I started teaching in a special school in September and have been asked to lead MFL. The school ranges from 2-19 and currently there is no MFL teaching at all. I understand the KS2 children should access 1hour teaching a week but cant find guidance for ks3/4/5. I cannot seem to find the languages ladder that a lot of the posts direct to. Our children are generally working at P2-NC1 across the boards so I need to find a way of breaking down the curriculum so it is relevant to them. This needs to start from what they are entitled to.

Thanks in advance for you help.

PS: if there is anyone else out there from a special school already implementing MFL please feel free to contact me.

2. runaway

runaway New commenter

Hi

You don't say where you are based, I'm in the south east if it's any help?

The special schools both Ks2 and KS3 I've been working with locally take approaches as individual as the needs of their students. One does Dutch because there is a native speaking teacher and a family closely linked to the school to support this, another Nepali for similar reasons, one which works with ADHD /extreme autistic spectrum teaches Japanese as the clear regular repetition and discipline of the kanji are what the kids thrive on (yep opposite to mainstream). Others do French and one provides 'tasters' in lots of different languages.

They all aim for one hour per week, some more, some less, depending on what level they wish to get the children to. Most are using objectives from the KS2 framework for languages as it is much easier to measure progress at sub-level 1-P levels (ignore the higher p levels eg 5-8 they are not realistic and make a mockery of NC levels as they don't tie in). Language Ladder is not up to the job in the format it is in per se. But can be adapted.

You need to think carefully about what you are wanting to achieve and why you are doing it rather than going with a 'because we've got to' approach. Then choose your language and then work out what your students are going to get out of it -make it as hands on and multi-sensory as possible.

Not got access here but have at home to some more details if you want?

3. Hi catt. Great advice from runaway. A lot depends on whether you are free to choose the language and whether you are expected to teach one language and have measureable outcomes or a carousel of tasters in various cultures and languages. Have you been given freedom regarding this?

4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter