1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL - help needed - asap

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ovawelmd, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Hi everyone

Need your help on MFL. What involvement do your TA's have in this initiation? How has the school managed the change.

Any ideas? I am doing an assignment and PPP presentation and need lots of info.

You are so kind.

x

2. Hi everyone

Need your help on MFL. What involvement do your TA's have in this initiation? How has the school managed the change.

Any ideas? I am doing an assignment and PPP presentation and need lots of info.

You are so kind.

x

3. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Is MFL foreign languages? Are you refering to secondary or primary schools? would help if you could clarify.

4. Have been to a couple of insets on Mind Friendly Learning? Is that what you mean?

5. Sorry - should be more specific. I mean Modern Foreign Languages.

x Thanks x

6. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

In our school the MFL coordinator asked all staff what languages they had knowledge of and/or qualifications in. One of the TAs delivers French using a programme which was bought in - she is not particularly outstanding at the language but was prepared to have a go as long as the pupils were able to hear the language properly spoken - which the programme used does provide via a CD of native speakers. I think that if a TA is adept at a language which a teacher is not then it would seem to make sense for the TA to lead the lesson. Possibly an HLTA could deliver languages whilst covering PPA time. Personally I would love the chance to learn Italian and then pass it on to pupils!

7. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Sorry, forgot to actually say that this is in a primary! Obviously this would not be advisable for GCSE students! I assumed that you were asking about the new initiative to provide MFL in all primaries by 2010. We have already started implementing it but at the moment are giving pupils different languages in different year groups - I'm not sure whether the actual intention is to teach one language all the way through primary so that pupils can develop some competency in it or, as we are doing, simply to provide a basic knowledge of a number of different languages

8. Thanks for your help - yes it is the primary MFL.

Good point about continuity throughout keystages in order to progress with the language (which ever is chosen).

I too would love to learn a language and pass it on, the pronunciation of the language is my biggest fear.

9. I am a French native and work as a TA. I teach French throughout the school 30mn each class once a fortnight. I use the Scheme of work for primary MFL and it works. I have previous knowledge of teaching French to primary kids having run my own French club for years. The teachers are present during my lessons and are supposed to learn at the same time, and then get the children to practice the new vocab during the week. What they do not have, though, is the spontaneity of using French at any time during the day. I greet the children in the corridors, I thank them in French etc... The idea is for me to gain HLTA status soon to cover PPA next year.

10. Attila your school is so lucky to have you!
    We have been teaching french to KS2 children for about 4 years now ,a teacher gives the lesson and our school secretary who speaks french (she has a french mother) helps out with any pronunciation/vocab that is tricky, I know the teacher finds her invaluable.

11. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

WE have an after school private french club that is run by a privately run person [children pay fees] one session per week. This is delivered by someone with a degree in French. The head has spoken to this person about delivering French to key stage two pupils . I think he is thinking about using teachers PPA time for this.

Not sure how it will work as this person only has up to five pupils in her session now and these are obviously pupils who want to learn the language so no behaviour problems. I would think without experience delivering a programme to such a large scale [30 pupils in each class] would be quite a challenge. Also this doesn't give any input from the teachers so there would be no links or feedback from the lesson during the rest of the week.

So our school is just in the 'talking' process at the moment.

12. Yes, MFL means modern foreign languages: a MFL Teacher...

13. I'm a TA and probably have the best French speaking skills of anyone in our Primary school! I'm quite happy to help out with pronunciation and lesson plans/delivery. As long as the children are being taught correctly from the outset I'm not sure it matter who teaches. Some spoken French has made me cringe at times...

14. Hi
    I'm a TA and, being one of only 2 people in our primary school who has A level French, have been teaching our KS2 French lessons for the past 3 years. It's only half an hour in each class per week but does take up quite a bit of time preparing resources, marking worksheets, etc.

I'll be interested to see what happens come September when our school has to lose 65 TA hours per week...