1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL following Maths or English?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by wood15, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any advice...
    My school has asked me to decide whether French targets should be based on Maths or English results at KS2. I have an idea that amongst MFL teachers there is the feeling that it should follow Maths but want to check.
    What do you think? I am new at all this and want to make sure my targets are within reason!
    They want to know by Thursday 21st so if anyone has any thoughts, please could you let me know asap.
    Many thanks in advance

2. Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any advice...
    My school has asked me to decide whether French targets should be based on Maths or English results at KS2. I have an idea that amongst MFL teachers there is the feeling that it should follow Maths but want to check.
    What do you think? I am new at all this and want to make sure my targets are within reason!
    They want to know by Thursday 21st so if anyone has any thoughts, please could you let me know asap.
    Many thanks in advance

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Our school uses CAT tests in Y7 to establish a baseline for future predictions. They are not very reliable, by the way. CAT tests produce a V score (verbal), plus a mathematical one and a mean score. I find that the Verbal score and the mean score are about equal in predicting future performance. One colleague at a another school says he finds the V score most useful.
    So, in answer to your question, I suspect that both English and maths scores may be helpful, but neither will produce accurate predictions.
    I think you are being asked an unfair question, therefore.
    What we really need is some kind of language learning aptitude test. In reality, you find out pretty quickly in Y7 how able a child is from their MFL lessons.
    Does your school not do some kind of baseline test of its own?