1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

MFL Enrichment

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by inglesita87, Jan 6, 2017.

1. inglesita87

inglesita87 New commenter

Hi all,

I wondered if I could get people's thoughts on the benefits of MFL enrichment in terms of students' engagement and attainment? I am currently doing some research on this as part of my National Professional Qualification for Middle Leadership and would really value any input that any of you might be able to give.
    What type of enrichment do you have at your school in terms of clubs or trips? Do the students that attend this enrichment seem to be more engaged in lessons? Does it help with KS4 uptake? Do the attending students attain higher than others?
    Once again many thanks for any input that you may be able to share, I know that time is precious and scarce!

Many thanks
    Gemma

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Fun clubs do help with uptake, but it is mostly lower ability pupils who attend those clubs. More able pupils seem to see the offer of a visit to Germany as their right and do not always extend their thanks to the organising teacher(s). I don't think that they opt for a language in the hope that they will be offered a foreign visit. The current pattern is to make studying language a requirement for the most able, due to Performance 8 and the Ebaac measures.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.