1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL and Numeracy

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Geekie, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

From the new Ofsted framework: "When evaluating the achievement of pupils, inspectors consider.....how well pupils develop a range of skills, including reading, writing, communication and mathematical skills, and how well they apply these across the curriculum" <tr> On http://www.sunderlandschools.org/mfl-sunderland/transition-numeracy.htm you will find information about the KS2 Maths curriculum along with some resources to support it. I'll be adding more soon. Did you know that every time you do a Venn Diagram activity you are teaching Data handling? I didn't! <tr> If you subscribe to the MFL Sunderland blog http://mflsunderland.posterous.com/ you'll find out when new resources are added.

2. Geekie

From the new Ofsted framework: "When evaluating the achievement of pupils, inspectors consider.....how well pupils develop a range of skills, including reading, writing, communication and mathematical skills, and how well they apply these across the curriculum" <tr> On http://www.sunderlandschools.org/mfl-sunderland/transition-numeracy.htm you will find information about the KS2 Maths curriculum along with some resources to support it. I'll be adding more soon. Did you know that every time you do a Venn Diagram activity you are teaching Data handling? I didn't! <tr> If you subscribe to the MFL Sunderland blog http://mflsunderland.posterous.com/ you'll find out when new resources are added.

3. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Is this really relevant as they progress through secondary school? Surely the more able pupils do maths that is quite complicated and can't easily be transferred to MFL?

4. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Some more thoughts on numeracy in language lessons:

Comparisons (e.g. bigger than, smaller than < >)
    Dates
    Dart board
    plenary
    Data
    gathering
    Eliminating
    details
    Gap fill
    activities
    Listening
    activities prepare students for mental arithmetic examinations
    Logic
    puzzles
    Mark to
    grade conversions (FCSE, GCSE, A Level)
    Numbers
    (including money and prices, ordinal and cardinal numbers)
    Percentages
    in examination results
    Sequencing
    (e.g. word order, by order of importance, in order of time)
    Quantities,
    weight, height
    Tally charts
    Tessellations
    Time (12 and
    24 hour clock)
    Timing
    activities e.g. maximum length of speech
    Venn
    diagrams

5. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I look forward to reading your ideas, Geekie.

6. Geekie

Yes: I have been learning French for 35 years (and will never stop learning, IMO) and I still have to concentrate extra hard on numbers from 70-100 (telephone numbers, anyone?) I'm guessing that the average Y11 taking GCSE will benefit from a bit of practice of them for the listening paper. I'm talking about maths that they have already covered in KS2 and early KS3 which their MFL learning will reinforce. Use it or lose it - constant repetition hammers it in. The CBI, among other institutions, have been bemoaning the lack of basic numeracy skills in school leavers - here's one way of helping them to improve. MFL teachers need to be aware of the part that they play for when Ofsted come a-calling. Just think how often you use time and data handling in KS4.....

7. Geekie

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Just think of how your colleagues in maths are coping with trying to include literacy. The whole thing is another crackpot scheme thought up by a jackass.

9. Geekie

Are you aware, Siegen81to82, just how much maths is embedded in your scheme of work? All you need to do is be aware of it. You don't have to do anything new.

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I'm not disagreeing with you. Far from it, I'm simply sympathising with you about the latest box-ticking initiative from whoever thought it up and who obviously doesn't have a clue about mfl teaching or learning. The trouble is that unless we stand up to all this rubbish we will never be able to teach as we should.
    The last one I can remember ignoring was "enterprising lessons", while the enteprise co-ordinator went around trying to boss us into doing them.

11. Geekie

Researching numeracy in MFL has given me loads of new ideas for my teaching repertoire.