1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL and Google Translate

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by salsera, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I had this one on numerous o Casio s with students asking what I was on about. That they had 'done' their homework
    I pointed out that a machine had completed it for them, suggested they give their homework to their 6 year old brother or sister or any other child on their road who can use Google.
    I then told them about our Deputy Principal who used Google Translate to inform parents of some Newcomer students that their child would be suspended if they did x again. When we double checked the translation it was informing parents their child would be hung for any recurrence. Drastic measures in our schools these days.
    In the end I got so fed up I showed them the pitfalls and showed them how to at least check for alternative translations: I bought a new coat = J'ai acheté une nouvelle couche. They were gobsmacked when they realized they knew the alternative 'manteau'!

2. Nice to see a Triskell, wonder whether that means that you are Breton.

3. That sounds like a good idea. Any chance you could post them on here please?

4. Foolishly, I set a reading comp via email. All they did was copy it into google translate and then answer the questions. You live and learn....but with things like Kerboodle, it's much easier to cheat as copying and pasting take only a few seconds.
    Incidently, I have just refused to accept a CA which had drawn extremely on pre-learned sentences from online translation software. I make it quite clear I will not put my name to any submission which is not the candidate's own work.
    I also try very hard from Year 7 onwards (sadly not always with success) to develop an honest approach to learning by telling pupils that if they cheat then I get the wrong information about their ability so my planning goes wrong and then they get the wrong type of lesson which doesn't address their needs. I back this up by pointedly refusing to get them to mark each other's work for short exercises. They have to mark their own as I want them to be honest - I'm not talking about peer assessment here of course.

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

How about this one (last piece of homework from Y8 boy): j'aime le magasin de transpirer.
    Answers on a postcard!

6. I like the sweat shop?!! Was that a typo of 'sweet' by any chance?![

7. I have a huge collection of "translation bloopers" - all of them made by human beings. They are much funnier than the errors made by Google Translate. Search for "Engrish" on the Web - which should throw up some really hilarious examples of public signs in China and Japan.

I'll post my collection on the Web in the next few days.

Regards, Graham Davies

8. I forgot that my collection of bloopers is already on the Web:
    http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/docs/Bloopers.doc

Regards, Graham Davies

9. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

There have been quite a few posts on this in the past. Try these for size:

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/192417.aspx?PageIndex=1

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/222604.aspx?PageIndex=1

10. I had another look at my collection of translation bloopers. It's rather dated now, so I am spending today revising it:
    http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/docs/Bloopers.doc
    I am adding new examples, and I would like to add some of yours, subject to your granting me permission to do so. I have a problem, however. Anything that you or I post here is automatically the property of TSL Education and we waive any moral rights we have in it: click on t&cs at the bottom of this Web page. That's why I prefer to use my own website, where most of what I publish is subject to a Creative Commons Licence.
    Regards
    Graham Davies

11. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

You've got it!