1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL ab initio to GCSE in 3 years - tips? (German and/or Spanish)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by anon875, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Our school is offering German and Spanish to year 9s (options done in year 8) ab initio.

Have you ever done this?

We're going to have mixed ability groups and (obviously) hoping for C or above by the end of it for Ebacc purposes.

If you've any suggestions on time scales/SoW/courses to follow please let me know.

2. Did you get any response? We are thinking of doing something similar, ab initio French in 3 years, offered to the more able, 4 periods a week (2 x French / 2 x Spanish) during years 9, 10 and 11. If anyone has done this please let me know if it can work!

3. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

I teach Ab Initio Spanish in two years (3hr 20 min. a week) in a selective school . We use Espanol Mundial 1 for the first year and then Mira GCSE Higher for the second. Espanol Mundial is not perfect but it is the best textbook I could find ab initio. It also makes the change to Mira more interesting and refreshing, as I have the feeling that Mira Express followed by Mira GCSE could be a bit repetitive (visuals, topics, book layout, etc). We do struggle with time, though. Three years would be much better, even if there is less weekly teaching time (Not sure how long periods are at your school). I would recommend swapping books around Xmas holiday the second year.

4. We teach German, Spanish and Italian all from beginners in Year 9 and have excellent results, mostly on a par with and in some case better than French (which is taught from Year 7). For German and Spanish we use AQA Nelson Thornes books and Kerboodle. 3 45 minute lessons per week.