1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mexico - advice?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lsp22, Apr 26, 2012.

1. lsp22

lsp22 New commenter

Hi
    I have been offered and accepted a job in the Yucatan and just wondered if anyone had any experience of living or working over there?
    I will be working in a school that follows the American system but am really looking forward to it!
    Any advice welcome!

2. lsp22

lsp22 New commenter

I will be working in Cancun but am obviously looking to visit the whole region and ideally country!

3. Masfar

Masfar New commenter

I've spent the last year and a half working in Mexico City (I'm from the Highlands!) and love it so much that I have extended my contract for another year.. Lucky you getting to live and work in one of the most beautiful parts of Mexico. The most useful thing you need to enjoy Mexico is a flexible attitude and an open mind - and I'm sure you will love it too!

4. Ah, straight into two of the opposing faces of Mexico: the glitzy and exclusive resort district, and, a short bus ride away, the down-at-heel city where the locals live and play.

5. ml01omm

ml01omm New commenter

Cancun is to the Americans/Canadians what Benidorm is to the Brits. Depends which part you are in. The hotel strip is essentially mini america, large international hotel chains, facing american style mega malls and restaurants.You could essentially be in Florida, English spoken all around you etc
    Cancun Centro, or downtown is more gritty, less sanitized, slightly more 'authentically; mexican, but seeing as how the whole town was built in the 70s, there is nothing really old or colonial about it. Parque Las Palpas can be quite atmospheric in the evenings.
    Good point is that Cancun is a major transport junction, so you can get and see all the ruins and colonial townes else where in the Yucatan. If you like the heat, then you will love Cancun.

6. ml01omm

ml01omm New commenter

meant to add - before the forum cut me off - Mexico, certainly if you are being paid in/travelling in £'s isreally cheap. Cancun is probably one of the more expensive places, but still, compared to living costs in the UK not too bad.
    I like Isla Mujeres, but depending on where you school is based, its probably not the most practical place for you to commute from.

7. lsp22

lsp22 New commenter

Thanks
    I am aware of what Cancun could be like but I am looking forward to travelling all round and I do like the heat!!
    It will be an adventure thats for sure!