1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mexican for beginners

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lilachardy, Apr 21, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'd like to prepare a Mexican "pick n mix" type meal for my extended family when we go away.
    However, some of the older members of the family are rather conservative with their food, and lack experience with flavours. If you catch my drift!
    One of them had a curry the other year and seemed to like it well enough, though I notice that she's not repeated this experience! Another had a Chinese meal, and struggled a bit. But I digress.

What would you recommend for a Mexican meal? I don't eat meat, but the others do!
    I'm not going to say what I have in mind, because I don't want to colour your reply.

Thanks!
    Lil

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Chilli con carne, chicken mole, enchiladas, tortilla chips with guacamole, hang on I'll check my recipe file.

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

for the more 'stuck in the mud with not desire to test their tastebuds' you could do somehting as simple as Chicken Fajitas.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Thanks both!

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

6. Sorry I missed this one - I have a great pick n mix mexican feast that even my APs eat happily!
    I love making the different salsa's - just chopped stuff to add to tacos, fajitas, burritos, chimichangas etc.
    I used to work in a mexcian restaurant so I can make all the clever stuff (mole poblano, chilli verde etc) but I far prefer to put out 2 types of meat filling, 4 different salsas and tacos or enchilladas (anything wrappy) and I'll even make quesadilla's!
    One REALLY easy but different burrito is lime chicken, just chicken marinaded in chilli, garlic and lime. Served with sweet corn salsa, just sweetcorn kernals, chopped toms, jalapenis if you have them, more lime and coriander leaf. Wrap it up and eat - or make into healthy chimichanga, don't deep fry it, oven bake it - you could go posh and pile the a tomato based salsa on top, add cheese and bake, then serve with green salad, the sweetcorn salsa and sour cream!

S'lovely, honest! And it goes well in a taco!