1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meta Questioning

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Geordie05, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Geordie05

Geordie05 New commenter

I am carrying out some action research on questioning. As part of this I am looking at meta questioning, but am finding very varied views on what this actually is. What are peoples' ideas on what meta questioning is and any examples?

Alex

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

They are a waste of student time as, I'm afraid, a lot of action research is a waste of teacher time.

3. Geordie05

Geordie05 New commenter

I don't necessarily disagree on either count, but I still have to carry some out!

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Are you being compelled by SLT?

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Is it questioning which exposes how children think so the skill is in making this visible and then using it to good effect in the classroom ?

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think you might have to define it as the first step in your research.
    I would say metaquestioning is when the type and method of questioning is made clear - for example all those activities where pupils are using Bloom's taxonomy to create their own questions about the topic they are learning about, in essence deciding what kind of question creates the most learning and information.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

....which teachers would be modelling of course.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Learning about learning. How will you show me you understand this?
    'Errm'