1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mest3 mental illnes and general help please!!!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by oxy, Jun 28, 2011.

1. oxy

oxy New commenter

Hi! Can I pick everyone's brains! Am hoping to look at reps of mental illness for Mest3 case study next year. Anyone got any good ideas for TV texts or comical reps? Have got loads of ideas for film texts and scary / threatening reps but need some TV!
    Also, how many texts do people generally cover? and do you give your students free choice over their own case study. Mine struggled with doing this, coursework and new media case study too. Am wondering if focusing down their choices may help in terms of research / finding issues and debates that apply. They find it hard to link what we have covered within clas to their own individual study.
    Any help much appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Re: texts...

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Colditz

Butterflies (depression?)

Basil Fawlty?
    In non-fiction, on-the-sofa /radio interviews with high-profile media people who suffer(ed) from mental illness talking about their condition:

Spike Milligan

Stephen Fry
    Cricketer Marcus Trescothik

I know you said you have films, but just had to add in:
    A Beautiful Mind

Iris

Finding Nemo (Dorrie)

Also, to go across the three platforms, lots on mental illness in women's mags (often "shock" stories of what it led them to do); masses of self-help websites.
    Re: how many texts... Loads, from a really wide range of media, both fiction and non-fiction and across all three platforms. That way we encourage them to do the same for their case study. Also bring in any relevant legislation (for yours, all of the various Disability Acts) as well as changing social attitudes. Again, that gets them researching anything relevant to their own case study.
    Yes, we always give free choice, and I think that helps them to be engaged. eg. student who planned to do gap year in Africa did rep. of Africa; one who was heading for the forces did rep. of soldiers; a girl really into celebs did rep. of WAGS (!) and another did rep. of Royalty. Rep. of housewives was a fun one - started with a student who is a huge "Desperate Housewives" fan, but became really engaged when he (yes, he!) started looking at 1950s adverts...
    I hope some of this helps.