1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MEST2 - print and e-media

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Mr_X, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

Does anyone know if marks need to be restricted if a student does the print and e-media choices? I have a student who wants to abandon their idea to film and just do those two products instead, essentially two products about a film that doesn't exist; do I need to award a lower mark because of this, or is it essential to make sure the student produced the 3 minute film clip?

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I don't teach this spec, but do know that students have a free choice of which two of the three tasks for each brief they do, which makes the film clip completely optional. The guidance also seems pretty clear that there is no issue with this:

Students who opt for the print and e-Media tasks should have a 'hypothetical' film production in mind to base their print and e-Media productions on. It would be a good idea if a very brief overview of their proposed film was included with their portfolio.​

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

There is no reason in the spec/mark scheme which would prevent them from getting high marks with no actual film product. However, in my experience it does make it difficult for some of them to really engage with their 'product' when promoting it on the print and e-media platforms. It may help them to still go through the storyboarding process at least, so that they have a really clear idea of how this would all look. Very close attention to other film blogs in their chosen genre will also help here, as they won't have a film product to guide them on the overall feel for this. Photos on blogs and print promotional materials are often 'action shots' taken directly from the film or 'behind the director's chair' shots of the film in production, so for higher marks they are likely to be including some location/action shots, even if they didn't actually film any moving image there.

I hope this helps.

becimarie likes this.
  4. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

Thank you both for your comments.