1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MEST2 - Help!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ann5an, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    One of my students has finished their production - a trailer for the TV Drama series aimed at a youth audience. As the brief states that the series was scheduled to go out 9pm on Friday night on BBC3 they have some swearing in their trailer - the f---word is used a few times by the tough protagonist to ascertain character.
    Now they have realised part of the task states 'it is expected that the trailer(s) for the TV pilot would be shown on BBC1 and BBC3 between 7.30pm and 10.00pm"
    Help! Will they be heavily penalised for this? Their project is finished and is very good. Is there a way around.
    Thanks in advance

2. Bump!

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

You ask "will they be heavily penalised for this?" Well, you (or your colleagues) are the markers, so you need to decide. The moderator's job is to support your marks wherever they can. One of the marking criteria is "fit for purpose", so in your summary to show the moderator how / where your marks were awarded, you may want to mention this and take it into account, along with everything else, when you are coming up with an overall mark for the production (including their other print or e-media work).
    If it was me, as the students have realised this, I would get them to briefly discuss it in their evaluations. If they research the BBC they'll find that the editorial guidelines are quite strict here, (and were toughened up a couple of years ago). By researching this and commenting on it as a "weakness" of their work, they are actually demonstrating "evidence... of research" and their "understanding of the media.. contexts relevant to the work undertaken", which is part of the evaluation mark scheme.
    I hope this helps.