1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MEST TWO Briefs

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by DalekTeacher, Dec 30, 2011.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently teaching MEST TWO for the first time, and wondered if anyone has any advice on what the briefs are asking? I am a little confused by what Brief One and Brief three are asking. It mentions about "existing publications" and also wondered what kind of features they could design?
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

2. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Really happy to help, but do you have subscription to mediaedu.co.uk, as there are a couple of pretty extensive articles on there?
    Briefly though, "existing publications" means they can research a magazine which already is in print - eg. Total Film or Cosmopolitan, and then create their own articles in the house-style in terms of type of feature, layout, journalistic content etc. By researching the target audience for these magazines (www.nrs.co.uk for statistics; magazine's own reader profiles on their websites and/or in their media-packs; subscription section of the Tesco website for audience summaries, even Wikipedia) they can then make sure they appeal to this audience - and analyse their work in the Evaluation in the light of this research - how far have they addressed the needs of their target audience etc.)
    For brief one, students can do an Empire magazine feature on their film, but then in contrast, they need to look at film promotion in the wider sense. I've had students produce everything from features in car magazines (imagine a Bond-type film where a car mag. would report on the film from the angle of the motors in it) to a Vogue article for a film where the fashions are all-important (eg. Sex and the City). A stop-animation film aimed at children might be featured in a children's comic; a BBC 3 drama aimed at the young teen female market with a narrative of girl-band making it to the big time might feature in Top of the Pops magazine...
    You probably know that there are teacher support materials as well as exemplars on the AQA website. Also, the Examination Report for each module is really helpful.
    I hope this helps but do post back if I you need more.

3. DalekTeacher

Hi,
    Thank you ever so much for your help with this. This has really helped me. Some of my students wanted to do a horror movie, in-line with the target audience, for Brief One and was wondering if this is allowed? It is for the movie trailer for Prime Times Productions. Also, should they include reference to "Primes Times" as a logo within their production work?
    Unfortunately, I do not have a subscription to mediaedu.co.uk. Wish I had though.
    Some of the class are also going for Brief Two - especially the print based one and e-media and I am a little unsure about what would be expected for these as well. And also, some of my class are going for Brief Three - the print and e-media ones. I was wondering if you have any useful advice on these as well?
    I have looked at the teacher support materials but couldn't find any specific details on what they would expect to see for each brief. I have recently analysed the January 2011 MEST 2 report and made a sheet with key points that the students must follow to help them.
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

4. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

I think the “danger” with Brief 3 (music) and print-based is
    that the student takes/manipulates one great photo for the album cover and then
    simply reproduces this over and over again, for the tour-dates poster; magazine
    advert for the album; postcard size as give-aways at gigs etc. They need to produce a range of products with
    different images as well. So, a magazine article and/or a website could have
    images / information about them relaxing / following their hobbies / with
    friends on a day out at the fair or the zoo / in rehearsal / getting ready to
    go on stage / performing on stage in front of audience etc. etc. They are asked to create a sense of band
    identity, so all of this helps to build a “personality” for the band / individual
    artist. I remind my students this IS an
    A level – one photo-shoot in one location is not going to be enough to get
    anywhere near the high grades!

Brief 3: I’d get them to research a wide range of local
    newspapers from across the country, (get friends/relations to send them) and
    how they cover a range of sports, not just mainstream. Big advantage here is that the shoots should
    be pretty easy to set-up, using school sports, local gym, local teams etc. I like the idea of the glossy insert – as they
    could include their own “adverts” for local companies, (gym membership;
    health-food store; sports clothing…) as well as the sports facilities
    available. I’d be expecting them to
    create all of these from scratch if they’re aiming for the top marks, taking
    their own images of the local leisure centres, pools, sports courts etc.

For e-media, try this for starters: www.wrx.zen.co.uk/soupress.htm Story ideas: a local athlete who is heading
    for the Olympics… a report on local people running the London Marathon… a local
    Mums-with-prams running group…

My understanding of how the e-media part could work is as
    follows:

n
    Create the front-page (at least) of the
    newspaper website following the codes and conventions you’ll have identified
    during your research

n
    Create the emails on DTP, with working
    hyperlinks to your newspaper website

n
    Create hyperlinks, from the text and images on
    your emails, to other pages on your website (ideally) or to third party sites:
    EG:

n
    an article about the facilities at the local
    leisure centre could have a live link to a local leisure centre;

n
    information about the judo club in the area
    could have a link to a real judo website

n
    quizzes / competitions, either created on your
    own website (ideal) or links to 3rd party sites

n
    Shopping links to sports suppliers (perhaps local)

So, submission here would be electronically, saving website
    and emails to disc so that the moderator can see the hyperlinks working
    (although I always get students to print-screen to include, just in case some
    of the links don’t work – and say in commentary that all hyperlinks are active).

I’ve probably gone on far too long here (and I hate to think
    what the TES formatting does with this) – but I hope some of these suggestions
    / possible approaches help. Also, don't forget your coursework advisor!

5. DalekTeacher

Hi,
    Thank you ever so much for this. This has helped me enormously. Thank you.
    I was also wondering whether you think it would be worth splitting the lessons so I do 2 lessons of production and 1 lesson theory a week?
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

6. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Some of my students wanted to do a horror movie, in-line with the target
    audience, for Brief One and was wondering if this is allowed?
    Yes. Lots of students choose to do horror.
    It is for
    the movie trailer for Prime Times Productions. Also, should they
    include reference to "Primes Times" as a logo within their production
    work?
    Yes, I get mine to create a logo and include it in their trailer as it shows that they are paying close attention to the brief.
    I was also wondering whether you think it would be worth splitting the
    lessons so I do 2 lessons of production and 1 lesson theory a week?
    We split this between two teachers; I do MEST 2 whilst my colleague works on theory. However, we do "borrow" lessons from each other, and she is very generous at giving me her lessons when we are coming up to the MEST 2 deadline. So, perhaps keep the split for the minute but be prepared for all lessons to become MEST 2 once the panic sets in! I tend to devote a lesson to telling them what is expected in the Evaluation a few weeks before the deadline, and allow them one draft, with a tight marking turnaround, as it is difficult for them to evaulate their work before they've finished it (!) and many are still working on their productions right up to the last minute.
    I LOVE this module - it's really exciting to see the students being creative, helping each other with the technology and getting to grips with new skills. It's also one where they really do get what they deserve - they can't pull it all together in the last week, so those who work consistently well through the next few weeks WILL do well; those who mess around and think it's all about running around the school with video cameras having a laugh don't do well.
    Have fun!