1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MEST 3 Section A - ideas for texts to compare

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Lita66, Mar 21, 2010.

1. As it's a new topic this year and I can't seem to find very many forum posts in the way of ideas for exactly what texts to compare, I thought a thread on this section of the exam where we could share ideas and things that have worked for us might be useful.
    I've looked at the mock exam papers on Estelle with my students so far and they hated it. The one on teenagers I'm saving for now because I think they'll like that a lot more.
    In our department, we have looked at a Find Madeline McCann website and a report on her disappearance from the Guardian examining the dual narrative that has occurred around the representation of Kate and Gerry across different platforms.
    We've also looked at the websites for Avatar and the Hurt Locker and issues of representation surrounding war, as well as the representation of the directors and the institutional decision to award Kathryn Bigelow the Oscar rather than James Cameron. We've also looked at how each film uses new and digital media with Avatar predictably having much more scope to do this because of its bigger budget.
    I am also planning to compare the Dove Onslaught moving image advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epOg1nWJ4T8) with this article from the Times about the Miss ***** website (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3613881.ece).

It's often quite difficult to come up with new, relevant and interesting texts that we can compare for these new modules so hopefully we can share our ideas and help each other out.

Lita :)

2. 18 months on, and further into the swing of things, I wondered whether this merited a BUMP! Does anyone want to share any good MEST 3 secion A comparisons?
    Last year, by total fluke, I used the BNP and Green Party political broadcasts - the students were pretty pleased when they saw the exam!
    So, gearing up for Jan, has anyone got any gems?
    Thanks, Sian

3. Hi,
    I'm finding it hard to find good short moving image examples too. One I have done though is two music videos. I used Jessie J Do It Like A Dude and Dizzee Rascals Dance Wiv Me to answer the following:
    1. Compare and contrast the representation of women in the two music videos. ( 8 marks)
    2. What are some of the reasons for these videos being available over different platforms?
    You may also refer to other media texts to support your answer. (12 marks)
    3. There are often concerns about the safety of the internet. Should people be worried?
    You should also refer to other media products to support your answer.
    (12 marks)

4. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Why not get pairs / small groups of students to create their own "papers" for this, selecting the texts and using the generic nature of the questions to write their own? Then they could "sit" each others papers (either formally, or via a presentation, or question-by-question then discussion ... and mark them against the mark scheme.)
    It means THEY are doing the thinking / linking / how are questions framed / what are the examiners looking for rather than you. Makes great Afl activities for observed lesson(s), too!
    BTW - you may know this, but having DVD in January COULD mean having one print and one moving text, so might be worth practicing this combination when doing the above.
    I hope this helps