1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MEST 3 results for A2 Media

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by highllama, Sep 14, 2011.

1. We were disappointed with our MEST 3 scores, compared to previous years.
    We are happy with the Sec A Comparative Analysis, but would like some pearls of wisdom regarding the Representation Unit. We have gone for Teenagers as our social group, and have covered areas such as Beckii Cruel, Skins, teen girl lifestyle mags (Mizz, Bliss etc), Barnardos Teens Speech campaign, teen stories in press, TV documentary material...
    The students also chose own pathway options.
    Any thoughts??

2. We were disappointed with our MEST 3 scores, compared to previous years.
    We are happy with the Sec A Comparative Analysis, but would like some pearls of wisdom regarding the Representation Unit. We have gone for Teenagers as our social group, and have covered areas such as Beckii Cruel, Skins, teen girl lifestyle mags (Mizz, Bliss etc), Barnardos Teens Speech campaign, teen stories in press, TV documentary material...
    The students also chose own pathway options.
    Any thoughts??

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

When you say the students chose their own pathways, does that mean that they still all responded with Representation of Teenagers? I model a representation, and include some rep. theory at this point, as well as theory and debate relevant to the rep. I am modelling, to show them what a case study looks like, but then each student has to work on a different representation. I try to get them to link these into their own interests, so a student who is planning a gap year in Africa might do rep of Africa (via documentary, news reports, films, holiday brochures etc. etc.). A student who plans to go into the forces could do rep of the Army; someone interested in the Royal Family could do rep. of Royalty (in women's mags as fashion icons; in news treated with respect (mainly....); in film (Young Victoria / The Queen...)
    Top level of the mark scheme rewards "very good critical autonomy". Examiners mark a centre at a time, so if all students are responding with essentially the same case study, then this may be what is preventing them from reaching the highest marks?
    Not sure it's the pearl of wisdom you ask for - this may be what you do anyway, but I hope this helps!