1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

messiah video finished

Discussion in 'Music' started by nikkib_1986, Mar 24, 2012.

1. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Fantastic! Will try this with my y10s next week! They found the Mozart vid really useful!

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Beautifully presented once again, but I don't understand the statement at about 2'41" -
    "Handel avoids using any minor chords in the harmony at all".
    We are actually looking at a chord of B minor (bar 3 beat 2) as this is said.
    Of course, it's true that there are very few minor chords in the piece - Handel uses mostly the three primary triads in root position and first inversion.

3. My bad, this is you sya, an over statement of the assertion in the text book we use which actually says "haydn avoids using minor chords" . I was lazy and did not the detailed harmonic analysis myself, however I have now found at least two instances of chord Ii approaches to the dominant. However, I don't think that level of detail will appear in the exam.

Both videos will get an edit and a re launch over the holidays.

I've just spent the afternoon videoing my hands for the Chopin.

4. florian gassmann

5. florian gassmann

Oops, pressed the wrong button there!
    What I meant to write is that the textbook perhaps said that Handel avoids using minor keys (rather than minor chords).
    I'm not sure I agree that this level of detail will not appear in the exam. For instance, if a Section B question asked how Handel uses harmony in this movement, candidates who claim that Handel did not use minor chords are unlikely to get a mark, while those that say he used mainly major chords are likely to get a mark.
    Anyway, I don't mean this to be as critical as it probably sounds - I thought that the video was really well produced.

6. You are right to point out errors, its vital that all the information is correct and I am ashamed to be so slpppy as to not have done the harmonic analysis myself. I will correct and re post early in holidays.