1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

messed up

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bkc78, Aug 6, 2011.

1. bkc78

bkc78 New commenter

I've made the mistake of checking my work emails whilst on holiday and received an email from an event which involves sending students to a placement for a week. I dont know how but an extra student turned up and long story short she has been allowed to attend every day but not stay over. Im normally so good with paperwork but guess I messed up somewhere. My main worry is what the headteacher will say as it looks bad on the school....my head is known to be a bully and hates her school receiving negative press. I have informed my line manager about what has happened but am dreading the head...we dont have a good relationship at the moment as she tried to give me more responsbility and I declined as I wasnt going to receive anything extra for it....i know im stressing for no reason but i cant help it! help! as anyone else ever made a mistake and how do you approach your head?

2. bkc78

bkc78 New commenter

I've made the mistake of checking my work emails whilst on holiday and received an email from an event which involves sending students to a placement for a week. I dont know how but an extra student turned up and long story short she has been allowed to attend every day but not stay over. Im normally so good with paperwork but guess I messed up somewhere. My main worry is what the headteacher will say as it looks bad on the school....my head is known to be a bully and hates her school receiving negative press. I have informed my line manager about what has happened but am dreading the head...we dont have a good relationship at the moment as she tried to give me more responsbility and I declined as I wasnt going to receive anything extra for it....i know im stressing for no reason but i cant help it! help! as anyone else ever made a mistake and how do you approach your head?

3. I'm really sorry to say that i have no idea what you mean. Student? Placement? Please give more info so, hopefully, someone can give you advice so the rest of your summer holiday isn't ruined.

4. Everyone makes mistakes, and you should not be so hard on yourself. Firstly are you absolutely sure the error is on your part? If it is then your best course of action is to come up with a strategy to prevent it happening again. Once you have this, put it in writing so that it is out of your head and get on with enjoying the rest of your holiday. When you return to school, go and see the head and tell her calmly and clearly what happened and how you have come up with this strategy to prevent it happening again. She may rant and rave a bit, but stay calm and repeat how you have addressed the issue.
    Tell yourself that it is her problem if she is going to behave badly.
    Them that never makes a mistake never does anything!

5. How do you know it's your fault? Did the student have consent letters / proof of payment etc? I've had pupils turn up for theatre trips before and we've been a ticket short: turned out they didn't give the money to the finance office in time etc. Don't beat yourself up about this. Did the events co seem ok with what happened? It probably puzzled them more than annoyed them. It could even have been their mistake! It doesn't look bad on the school and you won't get negative press - it really is a small matter. It's not like someone actually went missing on the trip and you did the headcount and were one down! Now that really would look bad...

6. Edited: Duplicate post

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I sent a group of year 8 children to summer school once. One of the children's cousins decided she wanted to go and so turned up saying she was part of the group from our school. She was allowed to continue (though it was a day thing) and none of us knew until the final day when I visited and asked who on earth she was.

I also ran an Easter school once and had 3 extra year 6 children arrive, just because they wanted to come and their friends were there.

This may well not be your fault at all.

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I find this somewhat puzzling.
    Before something like this is done, there is a list of names that is signed off by the head or whoever is in overall charge. This name list is the final list, so whoever is part of the group will be on it and if they are not on it, they are not part of the group.
    Surely the teacher in charge and also whoever is in charge of the placement activity has this namelist? If not, then why not?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sometimes a school organises something and sends off all the details to a third party. That third party runs the programme and the school in effect has nothing more to do with it, unless something goes wrong.

Presumably someone arrived who shouldn't have (parents just wanting a week off from amusing their own children probably!) and whoever is running the activity didn't have the heart to say 'Tough. Go home, you are not on the list.'

10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

And this passes muster? I work in the private sector ( not in the UK ) and not one of our parents would ever accept such a relinquishing of responsibility from the school.
    I find this quite surprising. "Bums on seats" costs money and companies are not usually that generous.
    Either way, someone, somewhere, has some explaining to do ( and I hope it is not the OP ).

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If the third party is the local university or boarding secondary they generally think it is fine.

12. bkc78

bkc78 New commenter

thanks for your message...i do tend to stress too much...

13. bkc78

bkc78 New commenter

I have since informed my line manager and she didn't seem too concerned. I'm hoping the parents will calm down by the time we return back to school....and then i'll face the head

thanks