1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Messed up the mocks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Idiomas11, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Hi all

I'm really worried. I've just had speaking mocks with year 11, listened to the recordings and realised I asked questions from the wrong theme for the second part of the GC. I had organised their running order but we had to reuse cards from the last mocks and to avoid repeats I changed the configuration slightly which I think caused the confusion. It was such a stupid and avoidable mistake as I should have realised that I was asking similar questions to the photo card for crying out loud! This is the first time for me doing it for real on new spec as I taught year 11s only on legacy spec before. Have done plenty of mocks but not with this exam board. Am worried that with covid19 that we will be forced to use these recordings! I could make them do it again I suppose? But what if they get ill?? So worried.

2. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

Good afternoon,

I would be honest with them and explain what the confusion was and the chain of events that occurred afterwards as they need to understand how the Exam works.
    There are lots of resource on the e-aqa part that you could use for that.
    Has your Head of Department not prepared you for this?

Regards.

3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Yep. Agreed. Be honest. There's still time - and the covid situation might, possibly, if a lot of your KS3 kids are off, or if things close down for quite a while, make things more flexible. If you have a HoD, talk to him/her - I know my HoD would help me out if I had done the same.
    We all make mistakes! (Though it seems to me sometimes that teachers are expected to be absolutely perfect in a way in which no other profession is!)
    Best wishes and take care - it's certainly not a massive, major problem!

4. Caramba

Caramba New commenter

Don’t worry too much. If you have to send in mock exams as evidence of GCSE. The examination boards can be quite considerate and they tend not to want to see students being disadvantaged in examinations by teachers mistakes (and we all do them!!). You should submit a ‘special consideration’ request to the board if you’re required to send in mock exams to explain the circumstance of the error. Being honest with the board and the students is the best solution and I hope that it all works out well for your students. Good luck!

5. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Where are you getting this idea that the exam board will request mocks? It's many years since mock papers were kept locked in a cupboard just in case...

agathamorse likes this.
  6. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

We gave all the mock papers back to our students when they'd been marked so that they could see what they needed to improve on for the real thing. We provide them with the transcript for the listening and the mark scheme for the reading so they can see where they went wrong. I have their scores, naturally, but not their papers.