1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Messed up interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by zubedha86, May 1, 2020.

1. zubedha86

zubedha86 New commenter

Hi, I could really do with some teaching advice.

I recently applied for a position that would be the next step in my teaching career. On the day I really messed up and did terrible, despite the role being practically handed to me on a plate.

I was thinking to email the head and reiterate my interest in the role quickly and prehaps even seek a second opportunity.... What are my chances of reconsideration????

Thanks in advance.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Obviously, you are going to not get most interviews you go for in your life. That's how interviews work. Let it go and don't worry about it. Was this zoom interview? Have you worked in the school already? Because if not, I can't see that a proper decision can be made on either side right now anyway. There are no shortage of management jobs in teaching, and most staff don't want them, so you will get many more opportunities.

3. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Sorry to hear this. Presumably they offered the post to someone else?
    I wouldn’t ask for reconsideration, but for constructive advice on how you might do better for your next interview (but take that with a pinch of salt, as you probably already know it will be different).
    Well done on getting an interview - it means you were appointable.

TheoGriff likes this.
  4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Our own performance in an interview is very subjective. You can do brilliantly but feel you've missed the mark somehow. Equally, you can think you're doing well but come across as a complete no hoper.

So look at where you think you could do better and see if you can re-think those answers.

For instance, I went for an internal appointment recently and failed because my answers were not quite what the school wanted to hear. I've just gone for another internal post and guess what - my covering letter deals with all the points that came up in the previous interview where I'd let myself down.

So be more specific with yourself. And if you can get feedback, painful though that it, it does help.

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Perhaps the feeling of it being handed to you on a plate was something that influenced how you interviewed.
    No job is a given. Even if it has been promised to you, even if plans are made for when you "have " the job. Even if you have been told how great you are and urged to apply by your managers.
    It is simply never a given, because last minute decisions can be made about whether the job exists, new candidates can pop up at any moment right up to deadline, and encouragement to apply may have been to add interest to an interview situation all round by boosting numbers.
    I'm not saying you should not have got the job at all.
    I'm just saying that the disappointment of not getting a job is probably more acute if you really thought you ought to have got it.
    You need to go in to your next interview with this in mind. Knowing you might not get it can galvanise you into far deeper answers, richer responses, but most importantly, if you don't get the job, you reach that place far quicker where you can accept every single interview as a valuable experience, and not feel bothered by it as you do now.
    Keep trying.
    ,And by that, I would not recommend emailing the HT and asking for a second chance. There are many reasons not to do this.

steely1 likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I second that most strongly.
    Indeed! The first one being that it would probably ensure that you would never be considered again for any post in that school . . .

Ask nicely not for general feedback, but for advice on how to improve in your next interview. Without even hinting that it might be in that school.

Keep safe

sbkrobson likes this.