1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Merry Christmas. How do you spend yours abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeacherMan19, Dec 25, 2019.

1. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I tend to go on holiday and spend it relaxing after a long first term. I'm not one to go home and spend it in the UK or with family. Christmas holds no importance to me.

How do you spend yours? Just another day?

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

We are not 'abroad' having been domiciled in Spain for twenty years and permanent residents for the past ten. If we are at home (as we are this year) we go to church on Christmas Eve and Mrs M prepares the traditional feast on Christmas Day watched intently by two dogs. (O come let us adore it: turkey!) Mrs M likes those little coloured solar lights, so I have strung chains of them from the upstairs windows, along the grape vine and into the outdoor (real and rooted) Christmas tree. The indoor (good fake) tree carries ornaments picked up during our world travels and a couple of much-treasured relics from my Lancashire childhood.

If we are in the USA with our son and extended family we go to church on Christmas morning then, with three grandchildren ranging from ten to eight months, things get livelier as the day rolls on. The twelve days can include Christmas markets, visits to craft breweries, snowmobiling and sleigh rides. There is almost always snow and it can reach 25 C below freezing. As usual, Number One son does the cooking. We drink some beer. At present=giving time, elder granddaughter and I comfort the dog who is freaked out by rustling paper.

T0nyGT likes this.
  3. 576

576 Established commenter

Traveling, 6th Christmas in a row spent somewhere new.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

At home in Poland. Did 5 days in the UK this year, hated it. Usually spend it with the Polish side of the family and actively avoid going to the UK.

5. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Enjoying the amazing weather of the UAE for the 6th year in a row - mid twenties and blue skies every day. Went to midnight mass last night, and around friends (who cook way, way better than we do) for Christmas dinner - turkey, big ham, pigs in blankets, roasties in goose fat... and at least one bottle of port each!
    Merry Christmas all!

6. TeacherMan19

Yeh I'm not really down for spending extended amounts of time in the UK. I try and visit a new place every year. This year I'm on a tropical island.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

A villa in Thailand with private pool. Christmas dinner at a five star hotel.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  8. Mlockwood81

Mlockwood81 New commenter

Live and teach in NZ, flew to Melbourne to spend Xmas day with some family by the pool... Boxing Day at the MCG watching Australia v New Zealand... Can't complain...

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Typically we travel to family. The in-laws are in two other countries, so we pick one each year. Massive dinners, decorated trees, extended family, all the traditional things.
    Once or twice per decade we just head somewhere else entirely, find a tropical beach or an enchanting culture, and break all the rules.

10. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Stayed home. Three weeks off to rest and recover from a 19 week term. Spent Christmas day at home. Hosted 12 people for dinner. Lovely day :)

Helen-Back and T0nyGT like this.
  11. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I find we're so burnt out by Christmas, the last thing we want is to be with family. I'm not much of a Christmas lover (bar humbug), but we do it for the kids, one of whom is still a believer. We take a small Christmas tree with us on holiday. It packs in the car nicely.

Like gulfgolf we are split between two countries, both of which are much nicer places in the summer months.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Back in the UK for us. The kids like to see Grandparents and cousins and so it would be very selfish of us not to (although I find the UK utterly depressing).

It's great to see family and friends though and know that, at the end of it, I can go back to my adopted country

Teachallover likes this.
  13. ejclibrarian

I got rid of all my warm clothes so I literally can't go back to the UK during the winter months. Saves me feeling guilty about not seeing family at Christmas (lol).

dumbbells66 likes this.
  14. 576

576 Established commenter

19!?

15. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Like to have a swim in my pool on Xmas Day in glorious sunshine and then post pictures on social media. ;)

mermy likes this.
  16. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

They can't be all that surprised. All frogs have pools. Innit?

17. ejclibrarian

From start to finish 19 weeks but we do have a week off in October so really it's 18 working weeks.

18. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

A tropical island in Indonesia this year. Private villa, spa day, fireworks on the beach and some temple treks to work off all the fizz consumed at dinner.

19. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Same as T0nyGT; family commitments tie us to UK for Christmas. I’d love to be lying on a South East Asian beach somewhere pretending the c word doesn’t exist but such as is life... it’s also a good opportunity to top-up on bigger size clothing which I struggle to find, as well as, the food which no doubt results in my need for bigger size clothing...

20. TeacherMan19

I'm on my 2nd country of the holidays. Looking forward to a big fireworks display for new year!