1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mentoring

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Listless, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Listless

Listless New commenter

Simple question really but can anyone suggest to me as to why you would want to be a Mentor. Not like teachers really have a choice in the matter anyway but all I can see is that it costs me hours of my time and I don't get paid anything for it. Positives?

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Anyone who is seeking career development would/should be keen to get involved in mentoring- it will definitely aid in future progression. I have a couple of teaching colleagues who have expressed interest in progression within the next year or so and as part of their development, they are tasked with mentoring a new member of staff. When I started my career back in the 1980s, I was keen to progress and in my fourth year of teaching, I took on extra responsibilities which included coaching/mentoring and it definitely aided my career progression- I was promoted to Phase Leader and then responsible for the development of colleagues within my key stage- you do it more so for the love of the job, although, the extra remuneration would have been nice.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Good to be able to help a new and inspiring colleague. Good to have the opportunity to discuss teaching and learning. Good to share good practice, and to see other teachers at work.
    Given, correctly, time to do the task. Real pleasure in watching the NQT develop skills and confidence, and in finding myself gradually becoming less needed.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just looked at the last post you submitted and you described a (not uncommon) scenario where you felt undervalued and worthless.
    Well, if you are mentoring somebody, you are also helping to prevent them feel that way too.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I thought it was valuable experience for me and the people I mentored appreciated it, they said.

As @Skeoch said, it was good to be able to help a new and clearly gifted teacher.

I was particularly happy for one because I’d recruited her previously in a non teaching role. It was good to see her develop and fly.