1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mentoring questionnaire - please help

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Caroline_p3, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Caroline_p3

Caroline_p3 New commenter

1. Three things that you wanted, or expected, from your mentor at the beginning of your NQT year

I wanted support - someone always willing to answer your questions
    Advice - on how to improve, updates on how i am doing, what i am doing well - regularly
    A friendly face - who will help me 'stick' up for my rights (in a place where you can sometimes be taken advantage off as an NQT and new member of staff).

2. Three things that you have received from your mentor in your first term
    Unconditional support
    Useful advice
    Praise on those days when you just need to hear something good
    A priceless friendship!

2. Three words to describe your mentor

Supportive
    Caring
    Organised
    3. In one sentence describe your experience as an NQT in your first term

Sometimes stressful, always a learning curve and very rewarding, having the support around me has given me a big boost and made me first term as a teacher very enjoyable and satisfying!

2. 1. Three things that you wanted, or expected, from your mentor at the beginning of your NQT year
    Some form of monitoring (perhaps glancing over a lesson plan or observing me, looking at my marking, etc)
    A meeting or two to discuss my progress and what I should be doing next.
    A friendly face that I knew I could turn to if I was feeling low.

2. Three things that you have received from your mentor in your first term
    An assessment form to finish the night before it was due. None of the above.

3. Three words to describe your mentor
    Busy, uninterested, intimidating

4. In one sentence describe your experience as an NQT in your first term
    My first term as an NQT has been generally delightful, with support from my HOD, fellow NQTs, two deputy heads, and everyone except my mentor.