1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mentor issue

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by guineastar, Nov 27, 2018.

1. guineastar

guineastar New commenter

I have had a multi tude of problems with my first placement (list below) but what I am most worried about is that due to a poor mentor I don't feel ready to go into placement 2 as I do not feel I have learnt anything.
    I have been placed at a requires improvement London comp where most pupils are ESL/SEN/PP and there are several (violent) fights per week. No staff seem to be able to control the students and I have seen staff members in tears in the staffroom. My mentor is the most difficult aspect of this placement. She uses any opportunity to mention how well she did at PGCE and her personal achievements as a teacher, and how easy she finds it all. I get around 3 minutes of her time on an average week and I can see the progress that my peers are making. I feel I have fallen behind and don't know how to improve.
    I have been graded 3 on everything so far, which is fine, I understand this is placement one. I don't know what else I can do to improve.
    Personal log of problems in chronological ordeR:
    no response to initial contact email
    no timetable in place
    no mentor available for the first week
    directions such as "look at the scheme of work" where some folders are empty
    observed lecture style lessons but was told not to do them
    have repeatedly asked for help on where to access more in depth information to improve subject knowledge "you just pick it up"
    no behaviour management training
    no access to seating plans or registers
    no information on sen children and differentiation
    no instruction on how to mark or what grading is used
    told to use textbooks where there have not been enough copies
    told off for making copies
    no weekly mentor meetings
    2x observation where mentor lost sheet
    1 x observation with no feedback
    no other observations /9 weeks so far
    mentor will not review lesson plan in advance
    no contact with professional mentor
    sen department not willing to make time for meeting
    told off for not setting homework correctly despite not having access to the website

I really don't feel this has been worth either the time or the money I have invested. My university has told me that they need to keep as many placements on as possible so I will have to go back there in placement 3.

2. guineastar

guineastar New commenter

*edit
    also I am often left alone in the classroom with no support

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Back to your university with that list. You are not getting the support and guidance you should, and their shortage of placement schools is not a reason for giving you a substandard placement. I get that they're worried about the school won't do it in future, but if they're not going to do it properly then they're better off without them, and I'd query whether the school should actually be paid for this placement, if they haven't actually done their part of the job.
    Have you joined a union? I'd hope that unions can also support you in asking the university to intervene.