1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mentor/Buddy Wanted

Discussion in 'Primary' started by formosus_solus, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I've been a teacher for coming up to 9 years now and have mostly taught sixth form level psychology and health and social care. I am very dedicated to my students and my job and would never wish to stop teaching as I know it is what I want to do. However, for some time now I have realised that my heart lies with Primary teaching. I did originally want to be a Primary teacher but I didn't train in Primary as I didn't have my GCSE in Science and because of my background, I felt that I might be better suited to older students and that after gaining experience I would be better able to transfer to Primary, having developed essential teaching skills. However, I have reached a point in my life where I need to make these changes. I'm more than willing to work hard and am already doing things to help this such as retaking my GCSE Science and getting some (though not much due to my existing work hours) experience with primary age children in a drama class. I will do anything necessary to get into Primary teaching because I know absolutely, it is what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. I am looking for a mentor, or any help at all realistically. Someone who teaches Key Stage 2 preferably, who lives in the Manchester/Trafford area (if possible) and who would be willing to talk to me about the curriculum and the way that Primary settings work, assessment and targets etc - basically all the things I need to learn about. If anyone had advice about what I should be doing to make myself attractive to head teachers in an interview, or what I might be able to do now to improve my chances of success that I would be so incredibly grateful. My email address is angeljaide@hotmail.com for anyone who might feel that they could help. I understand that there are many Primary trained teachers who are struggling to find jobs, and that people might say that I should stick to what I am doing now, but recent events have taught me that life is far too short to not go after the chance to do what you love. I really hope someone can help. Thanks for your time.

2. I've been a teacher for coming up to 9 years now and have mostly taught sixth form level psychology and health and social care. I am very dedicated to my students and my job and would never wish to stop teaching as I know it is what I want to do. However, for some time now I have realised that my heart lies with Primary teaching. I did originally want to be a Primary teacher but I didn't train in Primary as I didn't have my GCSE in Science and because of my background, I felt that I might be better suited to older students and that after gaining experience I would be better able to transfer to Primary, having developed essential teaching skills. However, I have reached a point in my life where I need to make these changes. I'm more than willing to work hard and am already doing things to help this such as retaking my GCSE Science and getting some (though not much due to my existing work hours) experience with primary age children in a drama class. I will do anything necessary to get into Primary teaching because I know absolutely, it is what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. I am looking for a mentor, or any help at all realistically. Someone who teaches Key Stage 2 preferably, who lives in the Manchester/Trafford area (if possible) and who would be willing to talk to me about the curriculum and the way that Primary settings work, assessment and targets etc - basically all the things I need to learn about. If anyone had advice about what I should be doing to make myself attractive to head teachers in an interview, or what I might be able to do now to improve my chances of success that I would be so incredibly grateful. My email address is angeljaide@hotmail.com for anyone who might feel that they could help. I understand that there are many Primary trained teachers who are struggling to find jobs, and that people might say that I should stick to what I am doing now, but recent events have taught me that life is far too short to not go after the chance to do what you love. I really hope someone can help. Thanks for your time.