1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mentioning names of tuition websites in posts

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by gainly, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I, and I think several others, have been puzzled by the fact that on some threads the names of tuition websites have been removed by the moderators but on other similar threads they have not been removed.

I emailed tes.community asking if they could clarify the situation. In summary we are not allowed to mention the names of tutoring websites in posts The reason they are not always removed is that they don't check every post; they are only likely to be removed if someone reports it to them. It seems they regard mentioning the names as advertising although that's not how it appears to me.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It must be hard for them to spot everything. I think I have noticed that they are more likely to miss it when the name of the company does not have capital letters so it is not obvious what it is. I suppose that it is seen as similar to mentioning names of schools. And, it I ran a tuition website, I would create a couple of 'teachers' who would give my website the occasional mention without it being obvious that I was advertising.

I do wonder who is reporting them.

3. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

They were removed on a thread "Starting out as a maths tutor" where a rather acrimonious discussion developed, nothing to do with the original topic. I wonder if someone reported that, rather than naming websites, as there are several other current threads where names haven't been removed.

langteacher likes this.
  4. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

So we now cannot warn each other if, for example, the fictitious Tremendous Tutoring company is offering poor pay or conditions?

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Pay & conditions are published on websites.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

presumably you can pm it?

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Unless, of course, like me you find "the system" is now preventing you from doing this;).

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

why can't you pm?

9. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Beats me. I barely used the system, and when I did I never sent anyone an abusive email.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

10. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

Hello,

When you registered on the site you agreed to the terms and conditions, which include the following:

Your use of our Websites

You agree that you will not use our Websites (including Services) to:

• Upload, post, email, PM (personal message) or otherwise transmit any User-Uploaded Content that:
    • Post content which refers to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means.
    Code of conduct:
    • References to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means.

Thousands of messages are posted to the Tes Community every day. We operate a notice and take down policy known as reactive moderation. We rely on our members to notify us about messages which break our house rules, including terms and conditions. We would urge you to report content which breaches those rules.

11. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.