1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mental Science In Primary Schools

Discussion in 'Science' started by chloewaters, Oct 7, 2015.

?

Should 'Mental Science' be taught in schools?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chloewaters

chloewaters New commenter

One of the key factors I have found in children's ability to retain scientific vocabulary and knowledge is the fact that very often a unit of work is studied once and not revisited. This problem manifested itself far too often when the old Science SATs paper was in force. In order to combat this problem, I devised a 'Mental Science' session that could be squeezed into the day as often as possible or used as a warm up in a science lesson. The children worked on whiteboards or with Talk Partners and had to answer quick questions based on all areas of the primary science curriculum. Over a period of just a few weeks, the children's grasp of the vocabulary and concepts was so vastly improved that I kept the practise going as often as possible: this enabled me to teach at a much higher level and resulted in absolutely fabulous SATs results.
    I am still an advocate of this approach to science just as mental maths practise helps children retain information in that subject. It would be interesting to hear your views on whether you think this would work in your school because I have approached others and the response was "We don't do it like that in this school!"