1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mental/Oral starters

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by DB9required, May 29, 2011.

1. I don't seem to have many mental/oral starters in my supply kit for KS1 & was wondering if anyone had any inspiring ones that the children would enjoy.... I seem to rely on counting in 2,5,10s & backwards whilst performing an action. Any better ideas? Won't be hard to be better than that!!

2. Your idea is ok...... wouldn't want to use it everyday, but you've recognised that!! Have you looked at some of the ideas on teachingideas.co.uk, maths then mental maths link? as with all websites, you will need to weed out the good from the bad.

3. darkness

darkness New commenter

I don't think it does have to be explicitly connected to the learning as in the example you give. It would increase concentration, or so they say and indirectly allows the students to learn what is being said as they will recall just doing the physical activity.