1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mental maths lesson year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by talulabell, Jan 20, 2016.

1. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

I have an hour with two year 6 classes tomorrow individually, the materials i want for this session haven't arrived yet and we are doing weekly arithmetic practice as part of a maths lesson. I just wondered if anyone had a structure, resource or an idea for a year 6 mental maths focused lesson. Thank youin advance

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If it were me, given that it's a Year 6 class, I'd be using the opportunity to look at some mental maths strategies,using some past papers.
    How many different methods do they know. Set different tables different methods and see whiich table is quickest / most consistently comes up with correct answer / fewest errors etc.

3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Have you had a look on the Nrich website? Lots of activities and games there, though not all mental maths.

4. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

I like this idea could you expand further as in set a question and each table work it out differently?

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Exactly the idea I had in mind.
    Then compare results. Boys especially liked the challenge of 'being timed' to finish!