1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mental heath advice (sorry it’s so long)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by geembee1994, May 20, 2019.

1. geembee1994

geembee1994 New commenter

so I’ve been accepted into a PGCE, but I’m obviously aware of the stresses/workload. I’m also very aware that I have a list of mental health problems that’s summed up by the doctor as ‘it probably is borderline personality disorder, but they won’t diagnose you as that because that means they have to treat you’ (the mental health support in my area is abysmal to say the least). Now, my question is are there any other people out there with long term mental health conditions that require ongoing therapy, and how do you manage it around the workload? And what are your best coping mechanisms in school? Also how do you manage financially as a student if you’re paying for private therapy? (I’ve been told the therapy I want isn’t available on the NHS in my area)

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Sorry I don't know the answers to your questions, but I wanted to reassure you that it is possible - a colleague at my last school had borderline personality disorder; she was very open about it and was a successful teacher.

geembee1994 likes this.
  3. I have BPD and would say that as long as you do your best to stay organised the work load stays ok. make schools and universities aware of your issues and they are usually very willing to support you when needed (I am in my first year of university doing primary teaching) Obviously there are bad days (and weeks and months!!) but on the whole I have found it ok so far. With good support around you ie. friends and family, as well as the university's support you should be ok. Also, there are charities who offer group therapy sessions and sometimes DBT over the country which may be helpful, as well as staying in contact with a good GP, and using university facilities as much as you can. mental health services in the country are awful - i have definitely struggled!! fight to get noticed and until then use whatever facilities you can! It's tough of course but worth it if its what you really want to do!

4. geembee1994

geembee1994 New commenter

thank you so
    thank you so much for sharing that! I've emailed the team, just waiting on a reply because I've gone through two other degrees without support/with minimal support and really struggled so I was paranoid about even applying for a PGCE :S I'll take all of your advice on board :)