1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mental Health/Emotional Resilience in the Curriculum

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by janinebaybutt89, Apr 16, 2018.

1. janinebaybutt89

janinebaybutt89 New commenter

Has anyone taught emotional resiliance/ mental health support as part of the curriculum?

We're trying a new whole school approach and I have been asked to propose some ideas of how we can teach it and was hoping for some info on how it is currently being done.

Thanks in advance.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I recall that at one point we had to illustrate opportunities for VAKE ( e for emotional ) on our lesson plans ? This was after a series of twilight sessions which we ran for all staff as part of raising awareness of promoting / establishing a better climate for learning and looking at EQ / EI . I shall dig out my materials and get back to you. We ran some programmes / interventions in our Curruculum Support Centre for students which involved Heartmaths / Visualisation/ Relaxation techniques - students with chaotic backgrounds / SEMH difficulties were targeted but the strategies were also made available to others with ( SpLD for example ) in a bid to lessen anxiety / aid exam prep. I wrote the pilot up as a casestudy.

I would also advocate strongly promoting AFL - the rationale behind it is fundamental in underpinning that ' it's ok to make a mistake ' approach .....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018