1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mental Health and PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by charlie_garrill51, Jun 26, 2019.

1. charlie_garrill51

charlie_garrill51 New commenter

HI,

I am very close to the end of my PGCE but my mental health has taken a turn. I am currently feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and beginning to get physical symptoms as a result.

Unfortunately, this morning became all too much and I had a panic attack just before I was due to leave for school. I felt it was important to get my mental health sorted as I was in no fit state to teach and therefore took the day off.

I am now incredibly worried about the implications this will have on my ability to complete the course. I am literally two weeks away from completing and have suffered through this for months.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any ideas on how best to move forward?

2. TheOneTonBun

TheOneTonBun New commenter

I don't think you are alone. The PGCE is an awful year. Having come from industry I can't think of a worse way to train anyone to do anything.

It's not surprising you had a panic attack because the whole process appears designed to engender mental health crises.

Just get through the next 2 weeks and its all over!