1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

menstrual cup - can't recommend it highly enough!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon63, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I have just been speaking to some girl friends about sanitary products and I really surprised some of them by saying I use a 'mooncup' and some of them had never even heard of it. I have been using one for 5 years now and haven't spent a penny on tampons/ towels since. It's much more comfortable than any of those options, it's so convenient, eco-friendly and just wonderful. I promise that since I've been using it my period pains are less (maybe the tampon was uncomfortable at certain times when the flow was lighter, maybe I didn't like sitting in my own sticky gunk.)
    I started using one because I developed an allergy to the bleach they use in tampons and towels which caused unbearable itchiness. I got the mooncup when I was at a festival and I've not looked back. Any one of you who is thikning about it please, please do! I'm a real convert (honestly nothing to do with the people who make them!). I think the web-site is: www.mooncup.co.uk. If you have any questions please post here and I'll give honest answers and I'm sure other people will chip in too!

2. I have just been speaking to some girl friends about sanitary products and I really surprised some of them by saying I use a 'mooncup' and some of them had never even heard of it. I have been using one for 5 years now and haven't spent a penny on tampons/ towels since. It's much more comfortable than any of those options, it's so convenient, eco-friendly and just wonderful. I promise that since I've been using it my period pains are less (maybe the tampon was uncomfortable at certain times when the flow was lighter, maybe I didn't like sitting in my own sticky gunk.)
    I started using one because I developed an allergy to the bleach they use in tampons and towels which caused unbearable itchiness. I got the mooncup when I was at a festival and I've not looked back. Any one of you who is thikning about it please, please do! I'm a real convert (honestly nothing to do with the people who make them!). I think the web-site is: www.mooncup.co.uk. If you have any questions please post here and I'll give honest answers and I'm sure other people will chip in too!

3. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I've been using one for a few days too - think it's fabulous!

4. Paradoxicalgirly

Days? I mean years!!!

5. It's all academic to me now but could they cope with a really heavy flow? I used to have to use a super plus extra tampon and a pad for the first 2 days and they'd both be soaked through within 2 hrs.

6. Paradoxicalgirly

Day two was always a heavy day for me Lily and I'd have to wear a towel as well - the cup would get completely full in a morning, but I'd just have spotting on the towel. This might be TMI, but I also used it with my last miscarriage (when of course you're not supposed to use tampons) and it was very useful!

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

We've had not had a mooncup thread on TES for years! Sorry,but still doesn't appeal to me.

8. I was thinking the same thing when I read this! [​IMG]
    They do not appeal to me in the slightest.

9. I put mine in in the morning, in the shower, and take it out at night to wash it before I go to bed. On day two, which is my heaviest, I also have to wash it out at lunchtime so use the disabled loo at work which has a sink in. I also used it for a miscarriage and got to see my tiny little embryo in the cup which was horrific at the time but I am glad I saw it. I find it odd that some women are too squeamish to use one yet fine about having sex, having babies, using tampons etc. They are the one product (along with macbook) that I would never part with.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

More details are really not going to convince me! Sorry,OP but that's really too much detail.
    Who was the poster who kept going on about those things a few years ago?

11. I'm not squeamish about them. I just don't like them. Some people use them, that is fine, up to them.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly. It's a bit strange for OP to seem to be on such a mission to convince us.Too much details in last posting.

13. Yes, far too much TMI.
    Just because you have sex doesn't mean you should want to use a mooncup! It's like suggesting that because you have sex you wouldn't mind the idea of using butt plugs and eggs! Some people think they are wonderful, others don't....it doesn't make them squeamish, just different.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Tell us more!

15. I think I know what eggs are but not butt plugs?! The mind boggles!!

16. You don't know what a butt plug is?!
    Maybe I worked in Ann Summers for far too long.....I thought they were quite commonly known!

17. I've never been into an Ann Summers shop either, I think I need enlightening!

18. Well I am surprised to have been a bit much for some posters. If you click on a link about mooncups - what do expect? I don't think it's odd to be 'evangelical' about something, in fact I love it when I meet or hear from someone who is passionate about something. I shall shut up lest I offend any more people.

19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Thank feck for the menopause, that's what I say.

20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Being passionate is great,it's just a bit odd to be passionate about sanitary products. However,if that's what you're into? Why not.