1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Menopause city ..home for the bewildered and sleepless

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Nov 22, 2009.

1. gargs

gargs Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek::(

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It does last much longer than some Dr.s acknowledge, but I do thin mine was unusually long. Possibly because the symptoms weren't as severe as some experience and also because I had no treatment for it.

needabreak likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Funny you should say that I had palpitations and random sweats that started over 12 years ago with flooding etc and Dr's thought it was due to something else and blood tests were fine, but it could have been an early start as I'm almost symptom free now and Dr's have said the bloods may have appeared normal because they can fluctuate quite frequently.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

There was something on the news during menopause week, that said that the length of menopause is longer than first thought.

needabreak likes this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Missed that.

6. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Cheery thought!

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Hi all, it’s been months since I was on this thread but I want to give a quick update on my situation.

Heavy bleeding for two years on and off then constant bleeding Summer and Autumn 2018.

Drugs not stopping it so at the beginning of December 2018 I had a endometrial ablation. Have bled since - not a drop. It was the best thing I’ve done in years. I’m very happy.

towncryer, Lara mfl 05 and needabreak like this.
  8. gargs

gargs Star commenter

That sounds awful smurphy. Glad it's finally stopped - must be such a relief.

Quick question for those of you working and enjoying menopause - have you talked to your line managers about it? The stuff on the BBC Breakfast items about it suggested letting line managers know but I'm in two minds about it. Any thoughts?

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  9. marymoocow

I'm lucky that I work for the NHS and my ward sister has been through it herself, as have a couple of the staff. All needed time off work at some point. I think the general awareness is increasing as I noticed on the course site at work there are 2 courses for managers to raise awareness of menopause issues and supporting staff going through it. Why are you in 2 minds about telling your line manager gargs?

sparklepig2002 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I was stuck between saying something before I get symptoms which might affect my work and not wanting to make a fuss or seem like I was asking for special treatment.

Anyway, I had my monthly 1 to 1 on Thursday so decided to mention it. No sooner had I got the word out of my mouth than he started telling me about how bad his symptoms are!

He was understanding though and we discussed adjustments that could be made if necessary.

11. marymoocow

Typical bloke!!. Glad he is supportive though.
    I'm beginning to dread the summer as my flushes have ramped up during the day this last few weeks. Manageable at home, but in a hot workplace, that is only going to become hotter, it is becoming an issue. I had to take 5 mins out today with a drink and a sit down, as I felt quite ill. I sometimes feel faint with them.

sparklepig2002 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Those were 'commiserlikes' gargs and mary.

13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

If your symptoms are affecting your work have you thought about HRT?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I know there has been masses of bad press about HRT, but I took it for 16 years very happily. I had to have a hysterectomy at 40 and the surgeon said, 'We'll put you straight on to HRT after the op because you don't need all those symptoms at only 40.' I was quite ill at that time and just wanted to feel better; also, the risks associated with HRT were not widely known then, so I just accepted what he said. I had patches and got on really well with them - in fact, I'd probably still be on them now if my new GP (when I moved house) hadn't been horrified that I'd been on them for so long and filled me with horror stories of the possible risks before making me have a phased withdrawal and stop using them. All the menopausal symptoms then started - I couldn't believe it, when I'd been done with all that for 16 years! For me, the moods/hot flushes/night sweats lasted about two years in total - but I know they weren't nearly as bad as many people have to deal with. Perhaps that was due to all the years of HRT? Who knows?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I've heard that having HRT doesn't stop the symptoms just delays them until you stop taking it. I think, as it's not unbearable at the moment, I'd rather get it over and done with now than put it all off for a few years.
    I've started taking some over the counter supplements. Only been a week so it's probably too early to tell whether they are making any difference.

sunshineneeded and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Is it possible they could make the symptoms worse? Might be a coincidence but the hot flushes seem to have become more frequent over the past couple of weeks. Could be weather related though.

17. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

What are you taking Gargs?

18. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Boots Menopause Support Plus. It's mostly multivitamins with added sage, soy isoflavone, green tea and flaxseed. I think it's more likely to be the hot weather that is causing the increase in flushes.

19. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Not my experience - I started taking HRT 10 years ago when I was in hot flush hell. I started to wean myself off the tablets last year (cutting them in half) and have finally stopped. I am vaguely aware that occasionally I feel a little warm but - thank goodness - no return of the relentless, intolerable sweats every 20 minutes.

20. marymoocow

Unfortunately I am no longer allowed to have HRT due to breast cancer in the family. I am at moderate risk of getting it myself and HRT will increase my risk further.