1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Menopause city ..home for the bewildered and sleepless

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I'm glad that you won't put up with feeling so awful am doing I am thinking of you.
    I'll get sorted out at some point :) I have to be a patient, patient!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Has anyone been on HRT and had problems coming off it? Do the symptoms return? If so, how do you deal with it?

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I'm off it at the moment due to medical reasons not due to the end of the menopause and my aches and pains have returned. My MIL was taken off it when there was the health scare about it years ago well beyond the end and she had a return of hot flushes.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  4. sparklepig2002

I was told to stop itaking the tablets in October, by a young male GP, who looked about 12. My symptoms came back. I had some tablets left over, so I tried taking one every other day, then one every three days until they'd all been taken. I have been feeling wretched recently. Disturbed sleep due to flushes and consequently feeling tired and miserable. I went back to a female GP last week and she has given me enough to see me through until the summer holidays. I suppose I will just have to grit my teeth and get on with it when I have finished the course. :(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. marymoocow

Or get another prescription after that.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  6. sparklepig2002

I'm at the recommended age to come off it. :(

7. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

I haven’t read the whole threat so this has probably been mentioned. I was really struggling with six week long periods, it wasn’t continuous, I’d get a couple of days respite and then it would start again. This was accompanied by horrible PMS symptoms. I had a mirena coil fitted but it didn’t really make much difference. I then saw a different GP she referred me for what I presume was a D&C - the uterine wall was very thick and the procedure thinned it.. This was done under general anaesthetic and another mirena was fitted whilst I was under. I had a bit of cramping afterwards but nothing that a couple of paracetamol couldn’t deal with.

The good news is that I haven’t had a period since (four years).

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Bumping this thread up.

I’ve had a terrible time recently with a heavy 4 week bleed. My GP put me on a ten day course of Norethisterone and that stopped the bleed. I was advised that two/three days after finishing the ten day course I would get a withdrawal bleed. Well I’ve got it and it’s like something out of a horror movie. Gushing and large clots. I will never take norethisterone again. I had a pelvic scan last week and it showed something so I have to have another one in six weeks so they can be compared. I’ve been referred to gynaecology so at least everything is in the process. I’ve got a med to take to try to lessen this bleed but my GP told me to back tomorrow morning if it hasn’t improved. I’ve seen my GP four times in the last two weeks. She says it’s either my hormones gone crazy or I will need an operation. I just want it all to stop. Regular readers of this thread will know I’ve had trouble on and off for over a year but this is something else.

9. marymoocow

That sounds horrible. My mum had similar and had a hysterectomy at 40. They have less drastic treatments now.
    I'm still not back on the HRT as my aches and pains are now likely to be something else for which I am awaiting a hospital appointment. After a 4 week period, I then went 50 days followed by a light period and am currently over 100 days without a period. My hot flushes at night are getting a bit worse and dryness a lot worse so going to go on the merina coil. I have also put on a stone in the last year!:(

10. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Thanks for posting marymoocow, I hope once this long bout of bleeding stops then I will have a long break of no bleeding. My GP has been good and is working hard to sort me out. She has signed me off work next week as I can’t be away from a toilet for more than 20 minutes at the moment. Hopefully this will give the bleed time to settle and hopefully stop. I’m so fed up with it.

If someone offered me a hysterectomy tomorrow I would jump at the chance, I just want it to stop.

11. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

I started perimenopause 5 years ago at 39 with night sweats and hot flushes. Periods are still reasonably regular but have noticed them getting longer. Permanent brain fog is an issue too! I used to think the menopause wouldn’t be an issue until I hit my 50s. What we women have to go through, eh!

needabreak likes this.
  12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Coming up to 10 years since this thread started and I have definitely arrived. How are you all getting on?

13. marymoocow

I am still going through it, though relatively mildly. My period are erratic, long, short, heavy, light, every 3 weeks or months a part. My hot flushes at night are getting worse though, I am still a stone overweight and unable to lose it and I thank god I have thick hair as it is really thinning. Unfortunately due to breast cancer in my family, I am no longer able to go on HRT. Because of my own risks, I have been offered Tamoxifen, which would put me straight into Menopause. I still havent decided whether to take it.

14. needabreak

Crumbs Moo, how long has it been?

I've just discovered muscular aches and pains for absolutely no reason I can think of... Any twists and strains are taking an age to feel relief, I look back on all those relatively pain free days of youth with a wry smile. Meanwhile the more I try to keep fit these days the more damage I do :(

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I sympathize with all going through it.

Though the symptoms weren't nearly as severe as some experience, from being per-menopausal to being completely free of symptoms was well over 15+ years in total. I know when I arrived back from holiday, they have apparently just done a week on 'The Menopause' on Breakfast tv and the Dr did point out that it may be much longer than previously thought and some people have some symptoms for years after the 'last' period'. I remember going 10 months after what I believed to be my last and then having another couple and then another long gap for example. If I'd had the severity of symptoms which other people have I would have ended up in a mental facility.

towncryer and needabreak like this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Thanks for upping this - I've really enjoyed the trip down memory lane! So many posters we don't hear from anymore.

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. marymoocow

I started with hot flushes after hot drinks and meals when I was about 38. I started with it proper about 45. I am now in my late 40s. Like I said compared to some, I am having quite a mild one. The hot flushes at night are not drenching me in sweat, but enough to through the covers off and have the windows open all the time. I am going to buy a fan this year for when summer really hits, as last years heat wave was unbearable, but they had all sold out.

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. needabreak

Good idea, I need tips on the most effective fans, mines too noisy so sleep is made more unlikely when it's hot.

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I started about 10 years ago when I was 52. Hot flushes were the worst symptom and HRT sorted them out fairly quickly. I took it for 5 years and when I stopped didn't get any serious return of the symptoms. I do now, however, feel old. Aches and pains, brain dribbling out of my ears, insomnia, irretrievably lost mojo. I saw an endocrinologist who reckoned I wasn't producing even residual oestrogen, and he put me back on it. I piled on a load of weight and didn't otherwise notice any difference so stopped taking it.

All that's left really is the knackers yard.

towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. needabreak