1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Menopause city ..home for the bewildered and sleepless

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Nov 22, 2009.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I'm feeling "fuzzy" in my thought processes. I'm not sure what is going on at all. It's as though I am disassociated from everything.

I used to be so clear headed and decisive- now, I feel as though I cannot prioritise or focus.

Bizarrely, as though my intelligence is sliding off a cliff edge.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Has anyone here taken Tibolone? I'm just about to give up on it, having been on it 5 months. I'm perpetually hot and sweaty and I'm struggling to cope. I'm going back onto Elleste Duet, which did know the every-twenty-minutes hot flushes on the head. I'd rather not be taking anything but need to sleep and not be permanently sweaty!

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I need to go back to my GP too. I have just finished a 3 week heavy period and last night I was roasting all night. I am normally the cold one but last night lay with the covers off and naked. That has never happened even during a hot summer. My OH said my face was bright red last night. I actually phoned in sick today as I thought I was starting with D & V. I feel sick and have had woozy spells and am shattered. Mind I hardly slept last night.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Urgh here I am... awoke a while ago, slight temperature, headache, dry cough and need to be awake shortly... *sigh.

Thank goodness I can post here!

5. marymoocow

Another sleepless night here too and hot.

6. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

My sympathies to all of you.
    How many of you are working and stressed? (It's a serious question!) I have found that my hot flushes have subsided since I finished work.
    I used to feel completely spaced out and wish now I'd gone to see the GP although mine wasn't sympathetic at all, she just advised me to go as long as possible without medication to help. I also found sitting downstairs and dozing kept me cooler and I got more sleep.

needabreak likes this.
  7. marymoocow

Here we go again. A heavy 3 week period, so i thought i might have a long break, but no, 9 days later i have started again! I can see this going the same way as my mum with a hysterectomy. To be honest, the recovery might be horrendous, but i would gladly go through it. I will have no blood or iron left in my body soon.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

:(

9. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I haven't read the whole thread so please forgive me @marymoocow , but are the medical bods doing snatching to help you ? I'm very concerned that you will be anemic already .

10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

marymoocow, so sorry you are feeling so bad - I can sympathise and empathise. Things were exactly the same for me, 20 years ago (I was only 38). I know they say the blood you lose 'Isn't part of your life's blood', but I did get so anaemic that I had to have several blood transfusions. Fibroids were removed and things were slightly improved for six months, then they came back. In the end, I had a hysterectomy, shortly after my 40th birthday. It wasn't what I wanted, but I just couldn't go on the way I was. I had a term off school and have never looked back. I was advised to go straight on to HRT, which I did, and got on fine. I would've taken it for ever, but doctors made me come off it when I was 57. Menopause symptoms were then not much fun for two years, but manageable.
    I know they are very reluctant to do a hysterectomy today, but keep talking to your GP - sometimes it's the only way.

towncryer and Norsemaid like this.
  11. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Sorry about my appalling typing .and spelling ! In my defence I didn't put my glasses on .
    If you haven't seen the Dr then please do. My mum had fibroids and ulcerated polyps and she needed a hysterectomy. Afterwards she was a different woman .
    In this day and age we shouldn't have to suffer . I hope you find relief soon x

towncryer likes this.
  12. successfullearner

successfullearner New commenter

Hi
    Haven’t posted for ages, TES have somehow changed my name but I used to be Jonowen!
    Had horrendous time x 100 for last 6 years, retired (early) and moved house and became a living nightmare for DH and myself. Wonderful lady GP listened and I’ve been on Estelle duet for 10 months.
    Now have high BP but considering we retired, moved 350+ miles, 90 year old dad went from independent to 100% dementia now full time care Home 40 miles away (instead of 6 hour drive), son got married (livel

13. successfullearner

Lovely Dilaw, huge row with my husband ‘s brother (husband didn’t see “real nasty” guy he was but now he knows and has been very hurt + upset about it, B-in-law had a go at me and criticised son’s wedding - high BP through the roof!!) pills got it under control but at the moment I’d say retirement more stressful than working
    But menopause under control so I’m happy! If only lady drs were all as understanding and listened as much as mine!
    Joni x

14. marymoocow

Hi Joni
    I remember your old name. Families!! I hope your bp is sorted soon. I am dreading work today as I am so heavy with huge clots that feel like parts of my body are falling out. Sorry TMI!

15. successfullearner

Hi Mary
    I remember the clotting feeling and hope you get through today ok. 1/2 way through morning now
    I have started a small ladies choir and they are coming for practice at my house for 1st time this afternoon. Goodness me, give me a class of rowdy teenage lads any day eeeeekk!!
    I need to hoover, dust and clean for ladies coming, of course they are coming to see my house and not me lol I miss the bells to get me motivated !

Joni x

16. successfullearner

Texted some smilies but they haven’t appeared so sorry about the lack of grammar and punctuation (procrastinating again - I MUST get hoovering

17. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Noooo forget the hoovering, I'd be a rebel and say love me or leave me simples . :)

I sincerely hope that they will be joining your group for fun n friendship. Sounds fun to me anyhow.
    Although I'm off with pleurisy and I suspect at least a chest infection so I'd not be very useful .
    Good to read that you are back . M y username has changed too but I do remember you as well .

Marymoocow, it sounds horrendous , can you get an appt? Sounds like you really need one asap .

18. marymoocow

I miss my choir. Good luck with it.
    I hope you are feeling better soon @Norsemaid put your feet up and let everyone else sort Christmas, it sounds nasty.
    I am going to try and get an appointment tomorrow. When my mum started with it, she would literally flood through 2 pads and all her clothing in seconds. She also put up with it for a year before doing anything. I dont want to get that bad.

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

<<whispers>> I missed my first one this month. And my skin is awful, breakouts and lumps. The two are related, I assume? <</whispers>>

20. marymoocow

They can be. I know a lot of women get a return of acne. Fortunately mine seems to have disappeared.