1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Menopause city ..home for the bewildered and sleepless

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Nov 22, 2009.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I'm feeling shaky, fluttery both physically and emotionally.

Even small comments are being blown out of all proportion and I just want to shout and wail with despair at the same time.

I feel like everything is too much bother.

Apathy, fury and depression at the same time! I don't know where my heads at.

2. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Hit the chocolate biscuits! Known to calm .....

sabrinakat and needabreak like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It will pass... like pregnancy/labour it's but a period of time except I guess we might forget this bit rather more readily, since everyone I talk to about it who has already been through it appears to have forgotten it in the mist/fog.

4. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Can't I ask a question ? I'm 46 and do have other health issues ( autoimmune conditions) , but prior to all of thantkicking off , my periods, became lighter but slightly more painful ,had a breast cyst , and have been on an emotional rollercoaster for 18mknths .
    At the. beginning of the year I missed 3 periods, then had two in the same month .
    Now , I'm on every 19 / 22 days . I have hot flushes ( but that could be steroids) and dreadful insomnia , anxious moments , fluttery heart and weight gain that also started before the steroids . Is. This the peri menopause? Or am I too young .
    My mum had a hysterectomy at 48 and for two years prior to that heavy extensive bleeding and pain due to polyps and fibroids poor darling .
    That then hastened her into the menopause fairly quickly ,but I feel I can't take my cue from her .
    Hope you don't mind me asking .

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Hi my symptoms, the same as yours, started about 44-5 if not a lot earlier. I had an ovary removed due to a cyst and was told this would not hasten my menopause. My mum had a hysterectomy at 40 and was told she would have an early menopause which she did 3 years later. My menopause was officially diagnosed a year after my ovary was removed. Some of my symptoms began at 39, though this could have been my cyst.

needabreak likes this.
  6. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply @marymoocow , I appreciate it .
    I suppose it's best to keep on keeping a diary and reviewing things in 6 months time and I shall also pop back on here to too.

7. needabreak

I have been the same as marymoocow and yourself and have been on here trying to assess for myself what was going on compared to other people since the Dr's investigations were inconclusive.

Clearly some people have early menopauses with identifiable peri symptoms and some don't and are later. I am struggling to figure out what is going on and most of the time I give up. It's tiring living with it and trying to figure out whats going on too while nothing appears definitive, not even blood tests according to the GP because hormones fluctuate so widely.

I don't have all of the symptoms all of the time and my forgetfulness in regard to them and other things is really frustrating. I will probably forget to post here when one or other of the symptoms arise... until I am at my wits end that is.

Hope you had a good weekend.

slingshotsally likes this.
  8. marymoocow

I had a blood test that was negative before I was diagnosed. My GP went on how symptoms were effecting me. Initially the dryness was most problematic so tried the cream. That worked and then I didn't go on patches for another year after being offered them as my other symptoms were mild. However once my joints became involved I started on patches. These have worked, though after a year I am now finding I am having hot flushes at night again, so may need to try something else.

needabreak and slingshotsally like this.
  9. slingshotsally

No. You are not too young at all. :(

10. slingshotsally

I have woken up with a feeling of gut-wrenching doom this morning.

I don't even want to step outside. Very stressed.

11. needabreak

:( sorry to hear that.

12. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

:( :( really sorry to hear this sss, sending a virtual hug ( if that's okay with you) .
    Tha k you too for replying to me .

13. needabreak

Second anxious sleepless night grrr will be shattered later. :/

14. slingshotsally

Thank you. It's all a bit overwhelming in an underwhelming sort of way....

Sux.

Yep. Me too. I tried stretching but it was so cold out of bed, I gave up.

needabreak likes this.
  15. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Must the week for feeling **** and awful .
    Pounding head for five days now, sleepless night , hot all the time , and to cap it all my lovely eldest daughter passed her driving test this morning, and I have had my phone in silent and now I'm crying because I haven't said congrats to her before now ! How b l o o d y pathetic am I !
    Sending out warm wishes and comfort to those in need .
    And thank you again for all your replies .
    B xx

16. springmorning

springmorning New commenter

Thanks for replies on my HRT question. I'm not so bad that I am desperate for some help right now, hoping to maybe avoid HRT - my worst symptom has been insomnia, which has lasted for many years, coupled with tiredness which I always just thought was due to the lack of sleep.

17. slingshotsally

This morning, I felt dreadful as the insomnia meant I was awake until 2.20am. I did manage to get some sleep, but woke again at 6.30am.

I went to interview for a job later in the morning.

The interview invitation stated that there were going to be short tests, but not to revise for them as the were quite simple. So I didn't. When the tests came, I realised that there was no way the one of them could have been passed without preparation. I mean, do transfers CSV files from one app, into excel and then manipulating data? It wasn't even an IT job!

I didn't get the job. I returned home, got myself a hot water bottle, climbed back into bed and wept.

Ladies. I felt useless. It's time for me to pop some pills. I'm going to begin with Kalms and continue until I can find something that helps me sleep and quells the waves of panic.

18. marymoocow

So sorry. Have a wallow tonight. Tomorrow is another day. (((Hugs)))

19. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I'm so sorry to hear this . You are not useless far from it . You have a body that's in transition and need some some help . I hope you find some relief soon .
    I haven't read every post I'm afraid, but have you had your thyroid checked out ? Just a thought .
    (((( hugs))))

20. Alceanne1

Alceanne1 Senior commenter

thinking of you ((@slingshotsally ))
    Am familiar with the waves of panic. Hope it abates soon.