1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Menopause city ..home for the bewildered and sleepless

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Nov 22, 2009.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I'm sorry, I have no idea about HRT.

However, if you read through the rest of the thread, there might be others who have posted about this before.

2. slingshotsally

Sorry to post again.

I've went into the surgery and spoke to the receptionist for the blood tests. I can only describe it as a surreal conversation.

Receptionist : Everything is normal.

Me: But can you confirm if I have gone through the menopause or if I am still peri-menopause.

Receptionist: We don't do the tests as they are just a snap shot of what's going on at the time.

Me: The only reason I was referred for the blood test was to check if the hormones showed whether I was post or peri menopausal.

Receptionist: Well, you'd need to see a doctor about that.

Me: Can I make an appointment please?

Receptionist: You'll have to do it on line and the appointments released until after
    pm on Friday.

Me: Thanks for your help.

While I understand that receptionists are not medically qualified... I was rather underwhelmed with the whole experience.

This will be the sixth time I have been to the surgery about "older women related stuff".

ETA 1. Just to add- irregular menses started from the start of my forties, just before my last pregnancy. I'm no where near 50 years old and I'd like to know out of interest if there is even a remote possibility of me ever getting pregnant again!

I don't think I'm being unreasonable?

ETA 2. I'm really grumpy.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

To be honest I had similar experiences and it is important to know if you can... my results were inconclusive. They are now say if you havn't had a period for a year and are over 50 thats it, menopause, beginning or end they have yet to confirm, but if under 50 then 2 years without means thats it... I really should have asked that's what but after being poked about I just wanted out.

slingshotsally likes this.
  4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I think I may need to change my HRT as sweats are starting again and I am having very light periods 1-2 weeks apart with spotting inbetween. I suppose it could be the start of my periods stopping. I'm kicking myself though as I was going to book an appointment in the next couple of weeks, but have just automatically got another perscription of HRT when I ordered other things. With the cost of perscriptions I'm not going to waste it, so will have to wait another 4 weeks.

5. slingshotsally

I've no interest in anything anymore. Barely getting through the days, no grit or gumption.

Libido - the lack of it. No menses for months.

Gasping night sweats that make me feel beastly.

I even looked into bioidentical hormones but I need to know my hormone levels before I can buy them.

This is like one long schlep through a boring featureless landscape with the occasional quicksand to struggle through.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. needabreak

We should arrange a meet for everyone who posts here although to be appropriate it would have to be a sleep (or stay awake) over in a nice hotel with a 24hour bar, pool, and spa. ;):)

7. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I'm bleeding again but the Tranexamic acid is definitely helping and I managed to get through the day without incident. Trusty black trousers and regular trips to the loo. I cannot wait for my periods to stop.

I got the results of my blood test that I had in late August. Everything is normal, the only interesting thing was the FHS was 23 and in menopausal women it's about 27 (it's what the doctor said, these numbers mean nothing to me) she said that was a sign I'm approaching the end (periods stopping) but 'this stage' can last up to a year!

8. needabreak

My GP said that the hormone levels fluctuate so it is difficult to diagnose menopause with bloods as one appt might read one thing and on another day could read something quite different. I am hoping there are no more bleeds this year. *fingers crossed for us both/all.

slingshotsally and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Watch out for the occasional blip. I remember going 10 months without one and then starting again for a couple of months.:eek: Then had 6 months before the next time. :rolleyes: After which I got 'panicky' in case I was pregnant, when they stopped. Those 'kits' did well out of me during those years. ;)

10. needabreak

Oh yes that sounds very familiar, I thought it was all over but was flung a curved ball so await my fate with baited breath. If it's anything like my memory it will be a rocky ride. :oops:

11. ljr

ljr New commenter

I LOVED being on HRT, but I was told I'd been on it long enough and had to come off it. Yes, all the symptoms came back, night sweats, within weeks my joints were hurting, my hair went dull then started to grey, although my diet was the same I started to put on weight....it was horrid. That was a few years back, now the joint pains are still with me but they've been diagnosed as arthritis, I thought I was through it all but recently the night sweats have started up again. I wish I'd fought harder and just stayed on the HRT, I felt so well and had so much energy.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  12. marymoocow

That happened to my MIL. She saw a more enlightened dr and went back on for another 10 years.

ljr, sparklepig2002 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'm not sure if I had my first ever hot flush last night or if it was the excitement of seeing celtic win away in Europe.

I know it could get me any time now, my younger sister has been suffering for a couple of years..

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  14. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

@springmorning - I think it depends if you've actually completed the menopause when you stop. There are some "withdrawal" symptoms to be expected as your body adjusts to not having those hormones again in a fairly short space of time. When I stopped taking it I didn't get a repeat of the shocking night sweats that drove me to it in the first place but I certainly noticed the drop in energy levels, the weight gain and the hair loss. But I may well have got them when menopause ended even if I'd never taken HRT.
    Your hormones keep you young. Most women who get on with it feel better on it than off. But you gotta let go sometime. Allegedly.

ljr, sparklepig2002 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I second everything that you have written.

Lara mfl 05 and ljr like this.
  16. slingshotsally

I'm not sure if anyone can advise.

This is going into TMI zone, so trigger warning is being issued.

Has anyone had a clear liquid discharge with streaks of blood in it? Rather like tissue fluid, no smell, just streaks.

Is this a period?

17. marymoocow

Could the clear liquid be the normal discharge you get during your fertile time and you are having spotting with it. I am still having spotting about a week after my period finishes.

18. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Not had the clear liquid with streaks of blood it but have had little stringy bits (sorry - I know it's revolting!). I've had a period again but it only lasted three days and was light although I did take the Tranexamic acid as soon as it started. The TA seems to be working well for me and I have had no side effects the last two times I've used it. I will stick with it rather than use HRT as I'm hoping this heavy bleeding thing is just a phase prior to stopping altogether.

19. slingshotsally

I have had a sore uterus, quite swollen and uncomfortable for about a week, so this could be it.

It's just feels strange.

Thanks for being so honest.

It's not a subject that many women talk about in RL.

Hope that this process doesn't take too long for any of us.

20. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Did I really start this thread eight years ago! When I reregistered I found I couldn’t stick with my new name.
    So nine years later I’m still suffering from insomnia but at least I am used to it.
    I’m not surprised it’s top of the threads. It all a great mystery how our bodies **** up our lives at menopause.