1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Menopause city ..home for the bewildered and sleepless

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Just got back from docs where I saw a new lady doctor, she asked how she could help me, I said the word menopause, she said what do you want.
    Bloody marvellous, not, well we'll try another blood test.
    I asked what my options were and she gave me them all, including natural remedies, primrose oil, black cohosh.
    Agreed to try Clonidine Hydrochloride for two weeks, she said that should be long enough to see a difference, also advised after the two weeks adding an anti-depressant to combat mood swings.
    Or trying HRT, or anything else I fancy.
    She actually listened, and gave me hope that this is the start of feeling better.
    Anyone else used this drug, what was your experience?

2. Glad to hear you got somewhere. Can I move in with you and register with your GP?
    I want HRT. Not the other stuff, just hormones to replace the ones that have swung about for a while. Am happy to dump them when all hormonal activity can be deemd to have ceased or I die, whichever is sooner.
    Have just come back from pre-op assessment and am as fit as a flea that has just won the gold at the 2012 Men's 100m sprint.

3. Has your GP said why you can't have HRT.

4. I can categorically state that memoryfoam beds are useless. I'm as forgetful as ever.

5. I think there is something in dipsue's post, though. When you're not stressed out about them they don't wake you up as much. Which is why I think the gin might have helped Lily the other night (no chance of that on prescription, then?)
    I am pretty sure I have as many at night -my O/H still complains just as much -but I don't notice them as much. And I now know they won't last at white heat for more than five minutes, so that suffocating panic doesn't arise.They actually indicate my medication is working (anti-oestrogen after breast cancer). So although I still hate the blasted things, I keep telling myself that at the end of the day, they are harmless. And will go in a few minutes.Honest... And if I can resist getting up and instead stick out feeling at near boliling point with the duvet half off, I do often fall back to sleep.
    My doctor had the grace to blush when suggesting homeopathy, black caboosh and all that other alternative stuff. She could see I thought it a load of twaddle but they are obliged to offer it. HRT's out for me anyway, so I came away with nowt.

6. I did go in armed to the teeth with information on any and every remedy, and determined to come out with something, if it was only a cold flannel.
    I didn't expect to just be asked what I want like a sweet shop and offered the opportunity to go back and change things till we get it right.
    It's mad but I feel so much better that I've been heard and not just brushed off like the mad women most people know I am.
    Now, what to do about the craft moments, I was hoping the memory foam would sort that but it seems not.
    Oh well one step at a time.

7. Has your GP said why you can't have HRT
    Yes, HRT is "not a supermarket commodity", I'm perfectly fit and normal (hah! Take that)and my menopause is proceeding along standard lines.
    What a total ****.

8. Grip him/her by the throat and ask is that along normal lines.
    Seriously see someone else.
    While researching options, thank God for Google, I found an article by some pratt who said, menopause is a natural state that all women go through and we should just ride it out.
    Sh/e needs a smack in the mouth.

9. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

There may well be blood spilt if I don't get a prescription for HRT. I'm not getting any of the anxiety symptoms that some report - but how to sleep through being drenched with sweat and feeling like being in an oven followed by violent shivers and feeling like being in a freezer - every hour, on the hour - I haven't managed that.

10. I have managed it: I dug out the Temazapam 10mg that I cleared out of my mother's medicine cupboard (yes, a whole cupboard) in 1999, and took one of them before I went to bed.
    It's not a long-term solution though, especially since there are only 8 or 9 left.

11. impis

impis New commenter

You think thats bad?! Wait til you find out about menopausal bed wetting!

12. mandala1

[​IMG]

13. [​IMG]
    and the even more tempting
    [​IMG]

14. impis

impis New commenter

And these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Why am I laughing?

16. mandala1

'Cos the alternative is hysterical sobbing?

17. Oh fookin hell, now I'm really scared.

18. Hey Lil, where's your Av gone?

19. Morning all. What you need is the right pillow to be able to sleep.
    Start with six different pillows then throw off or add back to the pile. No, the memory foam one does not work, but it is cold. And it does feel like sleeping on a marshmallow. However, don't make any firm decisions, play it by ear!
    Change pillow arrangement frequently for the max annoyance for partner. Turning pillows over is just a habit I do in my sleep

20. Yeah, that's all good and well but, I havn't got a partner so once I've launched them all the length of the room. Who's going to go get them them back for me?[​IMG]