1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Menopause city ..home for the bewildered and sleepless

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Nov 22, 2009.

1. It's ridiculous, isn't it. Perhaps when we're all back at work and keeping more regular hours the insomnia will improve. It's one thing giving up at 3 a.m. and coming downstarirs till 5.30 when you can stay in bed until 10, but if I have to get up at 7 after two hours' sleep, the world will echo to the sound of my CONSTANT MOANING.

2. Well never mind the tiredness, cos you eat more to get energy. 2 slices of extra thick home-made tarte au citron. How the *** **** **** am I going to lose weight !

*rattle, rattle*

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

So.... do these hot flushes consume calories? Can I stop exercising and should I eat more?

4. Exercise ? No energy for that. When I went to the gym last I kept losing concentration and falling off the back of the running machine. It's so embarassing !
    It wasn't cos I turned my head to follow a six pack passing by.

5. Ooooo good thinking, Mandala!!!!
    [*][*][*]

6. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Thanks for the laugh about Clonidine, lily. $£@&&!!

7. What are your opinions on memory foam beds? Would they make a difference? Can you rent them just to try them out?

8. Sadly not. I got one ([​IMG]) because we had a fire so the insurance paid out and it sorted my sciatica out nicely. Because you sort of sink into it instead of lying on top of it, the hollow of the back has something solid under it instead of a space. Not explaining it very well, and it probably doesn't work for every back complaint, but it did for mine. Well, that one anyway.

9. The best bed I ever had actually was my hall-of-residence cheap c*rap foam mattress. It was about six inches of foam - dead cheap but apparently the thing that suits me best. These expensive pocket-sprung "orthopaedic" things - no use to me!

10. mandala1

I reckon I could have a mattress made from pure angel breath and I'd still wake up every hour.

11. Our house is like an ice-box at night. I walked slowly around upstairs last night with no clothes on to cool off. Joy. Mr L is delighted to have no further use for the electric blanket!

12. mandala1

I love this weather, and wouldnt dream of having the heating on at night. I was out making a snowman last night in my jammies. I did't stay out long, but the coldness was lovely. This will be even more intolerable in the summer..... [​IMG]

13. Harrumph I'll have HRT by then!

14. mandala1

Me too. Or my dr Will Die.

15. Well call me old fashioned but I thought a firm bed was good because it supported your back? I'm tried memory beds in hotels and liked the coolness of them but not sure about the sinking in.
    Can't say I've noticed the cold [​IMG] a handful of snow comes in quite handy for cooling you off.
    But the ice sliding off the roof woke me up so it must be thawing. Or I'm thawing it?
    I have now bought some Kalms tablets. Relieves period of worry, irritability, stresses and strains and may make you feel sleeepy YAYYYYYYYYYY!
    I think that is my main diagnosis .....I have

IRRITABILTY[​IMG] !
    Anyway its got hops, valerian, gentian and sucrose. So if I run out I can eat sweets and drink ale.
    How's the snow man mandala ?

16. mandala1

My bed is firm and my back is much better than it was a few years ago, since we bought a new mattress.
    All the firmness in the world is not going to stop the night sweats, I suspect. Snow, yes. Firm mattress, no.

Oh, bl**dy tell me about it. I yelled at the cat just now.

17. Well cats are irritating. Mine woke me up again this morning looking in through the bedroom window one floor up to get me to open the door. I have to let her in the window incase she falls/ slides off the roof again and i have to pay £££ vet bills again. How does she get there? does she abseil off the roof?

18. impis

impis New commenter

Snap! The best bed I slept in was also when I was at college, and was also a cheap foam mattress. We've always had foam ever since [usually by putting toppers on top of the mattress that came with the beds.]
    I now have a memory foam mattress [layer of MF on top of ordinary foam]
    My last period was also September.
    I also wake several times in the night too hot, fling off the duvet, then wake up too cold.
    Re: clonidine - my daughter was prescribed this, along with Ritalin, when she was first diagnosed with ADHD some years ago. The clonidine had an unusual side effect - it made her feel cold all the time. We went on holiday to Turkey, in the main summer weeks - 40+degrees. She went to bed each night in pyjamas, cardie, dressing gown, and all the blankets she could lay her hands on, while the rest of us slept on top of the beds starkers. She shivered all day and all night.
    I don't think you'd like the clonidine any more than the night sweats.

19. Well I have been googling to find out how long hot flushes/night sweats (hot flashes if you're American) are gonna go on for ?
    No flipping answers! How long is a piece of string?
    I have all 40 symptoms and so I'm going to try red clover as recommended possibly in the form of honey, I thought, as the snow is covering all the lawn up at the moment. And secondly take copper tablets so as I'm a bit short of cash this month I'll be stripping old wiring to lick the copper out of it.
    Also the advice given is, and I quote (copy n paste)
    "Don't forget that symptoms such as night sweats are not only the result of hormonal changes that occur during menopause, but they can also be triggered by your body's stress response. This means that reducing and avoiding stress in your life can be an important part of handling night sweats and improving women's health. "
    Um so no teaching tomorrow ...... easy [​IMG]

20. I have just been catching up with this thread and having a damn good laugh. SO glad its not just me - cats sliding off roofs, making snowmen in the middle of the night, wandering around in the nude in an icy cold house - as usual I am giggling hysterically. Thanks, girls.