1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Menopause city ..home for the bewildered and sleepless

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Thanks for that, Mandala! Now I can be grateful for only having them every hour!
    I can't have HRT till after my op in February. One of the many irritating things is, the longer this goes on, the more my family (menfolk) are inclined to think it no longer makes me exhausted. It's just there in the background, not new, not lethal, just a bit of an inconvenience when I go off on one.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I suspect I'm going to be chaining myself to the surgery railings tomorrow, begging for HRT. God, it's such an odd feeling, isn't it. How on earth does one stand in front of a class and maintain composure???? I may be jumping out of the window.

3. Resist the urge to rip your clothes off if you are teaching tho Mandala.
    Train o/h to fan you with the duvet until you cool down.
    Cool spray works. Or sticking your head out of the roof velux window in the middle of the night helps to bring you back to errrrr.... normal !

4. casper

casper New commenter

I am joining your club ladies. I have had chemo so an iduced menopause. my periods stopped fter the first Chemo. After chemo 3 the hot sweats started. Having to endure chemo and this has been really hard.
    However, my husbanmd was up in the night I think he has a bug. He was sitting on the side of the bed saying I am so tired I really need to sleep. I said sleep then, good idea if you lay down! lol
    He said I can't am so hot, had a really hot sweat sheets all wet. Know this well I thought, but zipped it.

Got a lady magnet, but starting radiotherapy next week so I will not start using it unitl that ahs finished. Any way, Happy New Year - hope it is a cool one if you know what i mean.

All the best.
    Casper xx

5. mandala1

What is a lady magnet?

6. My son thinks it is him.

7. casper

casper New commenter

ha ha
    YOu get them form boots supposed to help. Altough I have heard of ladys getting stuck to supermarket trolleys. LOL Bit worried about hard drives on computers , they could wipe them. So it is no hot flushes wiht damagedhard drives or perfect hard drives adn hot flushes.

8. It might be a bizarre suggestion under the circumstances, but I've found an electric overblanket really useful in bed. Not for leaving on but for when a big one comes on and you have to get up and really chill out yourself by any means possible.
    When the sensation eventually goes 10 mins later I feel the temperature for what it actually is -flippin freezing! So coming back to a warmish bed is a lot more comfortable...
    I was tempted to wander outside recently in the middle of the
    night... only the fact that I might have happily fallen asleep in a snowdrift, catching an eventual hat-trick of hypothermia, frostbite and double pneumonia deterred me from
    this attractive proposition...

9. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Take HRT - you can take it for 5 years and there will be no adverse effects. After that you have to balance the risks. If you are overweight/smoke then it may not be worth it but you need to make an informed decision. Research it on the internet. I'm going to take it until I retire hopefully so that I can cope with working. I teach in a comprehensive and it is just not possible to stand in the classroom going bright red and sweaty. Anti histamine will make you groggy enough to get some sleep.

10. mandala1

Thanks. I'm quite concerned about work and how to cope - but have a drs appointment and will ask (beg!) for HRT I think.

11. Hahahahaha I had only one G&T during the whole of yesterday (just for the record), went to bed, went to sleep and didn't have a hot flush all night! Awoke refreshed and smug at 9.30 this morning!!!!
    Not putting the flags out just yet.

12. Well this is worth a try again Lil.
    I have found if I turn the heating up full, stoke up the wood burner, the sun is out and the room gets to boiling point I can nod off for half an hour during the day. Every little counts.

13. Everyone says "knock yourself out with booze" but it just makes me wake up even hotter. I intend to drink no alcohol until next Friday so we'll see what difference that makes.

14. mandala1

Me too. Mind you, anything and everything seems to trigger a hot flush at the moment.

15. Hi. Can I join the club too please?
    Just been to the doctor last week as I can no longer cope with hot flushes(up to 6 every night). Dreading going back to work as I am looking and feeling awful. Doctor prescribed a Beta blocker to help with the anxiety and Clonidine for the hot flushes. He also advised me to try Black Cohosh(Menolieve- at Boots Chemist). I have to give it two weeks and if things don't improve I am going to consider HRT. So far no real change so it looks like HRT for me........... The holdays have been great because I can doze off on the couch during the day!!!

16. Wow beta blockers sounds good. But surely that will slow you down during the day? Not heard of Clonidine.
    I think I will be rattling soon.

17. Clonidine?
    "It has been prescribed historically as an antihypertensive agent. It has found new uses, including treatment of some types of neuropathic pain, opioid detoxification, sleep hyperhidrosis, anaesthetic use, and off-label, to counter the side effects of stimulant medications such as methylphenidate or amphetamine. It is becoming a more accepted treatment for insomnia, as well as for relief of menopausal symptoms. Clonidine is increasingly used in conjunction with stimulants to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), for which it is administered in late afternoon or evening for sleep, and because it sometimes helps moderate ADHD-associated impulsive and oppositional behavior, and may reduce tics.<sup class="reference"><a>[1][/URL] Clonidine can be used in the treatment of Tourette syndrome.<sup class="reference"><a>[2][/URL] Clonidine is also a mild sedative, and can be used as premedication before surgery or procedures. <sup class="reference"><a>[3][/URL]" (Wiki)

18. Oooo hit post by mistake.
    Clonidine can be used in the treatment of Tourette syndrome
    Even if it doesn't sort your hot flushes, it'll stop you swearing at them!!!!

19. mandala1

Hahahahaha!
    I'll be definitely asking for that one!

20. This really made me laugh! .....thanks. I was taking things a bit too seriously. I have been known to have a right good swear pretty regularly so perhaps the doctor knows me better than I thought!!!!!
    Slept for exactly 1 hour and 55 mins last night then gave up and went downstairs and read. Had to make up for it today.....slept for 2 hours on the couch.......( husband said that i was swearing a lot in my sleep........only joking!!!!)