1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Menopause city ..home for the bewildered and sleepless

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Nov 22, 2009.

1. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php
    Just when you think it can't get any worse you hear what others go through and I wonder if I've got all this still to come !
    At least the humour website cheered me up. Especially the GCSE questions.
    Anyone found anything that helps hot flushes? Linking up to the national grid is not a solution.

2. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php
    Just when you think it can't get any worse you hear what others go through and I wonder if I've got all this still to come !
    At least the humour website cheered me up. Especially the GCSE questions.
    Anyone found anything that helps hot flushes? Linking up to the national grid is not a solution.

3. I aim to be a temporary resident of this city because after I have had my varicose vein op, I am going on HRT.
    Got a phone call from my cousin yesterday who started with hot flushes two years ago and they're just the same now as they were when they started. She and her husband sleep in separate rooms, an option I don't have.
    When my second son was born, I didn't have a night that wasn't broken at least twice for four years and I had forgotten just how utterly broken down I got. I just can't cope without sleep. This has only been going a couple of months now and I'm already pale, hollow-eyed and shambling. I am sitting at the laptop at this very moment in just my bra and knickers because I'm boiling.
    Tis my achilles heel and I am going to hammer it with hormones.

4. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

The trouble is, and here, Lily, I speak from experience, as soon as you stop taking the HRT the hot sweats start all over again and the menopause picks up where it left off.

5. Jam today!

6. Yes this is what has happened to me. I'm off to the doctors to get sleeping tablets. I can't even drink coffee without burning up (decaff incidently)

7. Did s/he give you any?

8. Well that's just SUPER. On top of the hot flushes, I am now having leg cramps. Never have I had a proper cramp in my legs before, although Mr L gets them quite often. As soon as I stretch my legs out in front of me my toes turn into hen claws and I have to leap out of bed yelping and rubbing until I've woken my husband up as well.
    This I discover is another common symptom of menopause.
    Over the last three nights I've probably managed a total of five hours' sleep and I have the house to clean and Mr L's birthday dinner to prepare for seven guests.
    Sod this for a game of soldiers.

9. Yes he did give me zopiclone. And warned me they are addictive.
    So now I've read up what comments there are on tinternet and now I don't know whether to take them of not?
    Some people say they are wonderful because they get a good nights sleep and others say don't take them, they'll only cause more problems. Like loss of memory (God! Mine is bad enough already)
    Can I just take half a tablet ? I don't like the idea of hallucinating and possibly being asleep next day.

10. Well Lil that sounds really **** . I usually end up eating a load of chocolate to give me the energy I need to keep going.
    I now have my own bed so I can move around to find the cold spots in bed when a hot flush starts up. I have leg cramp from time to time.
    [​IMG]

11. I only need half a Zopliclone to sleep like the dead. I don't get any sort of hangover" the next day. Having said that, I've only taking it a few times and not on consecutive nights. I might ask my GP for some. I am worried in case I overheat and die during a hot flush because I didn't wake up hahahahahaha!

12. Look at that typing. I am having to retype stuff all the time at work. I have created more work than I've shifted this week.

13. What a b*gger. Went to see about vein op today and it's scheduled for Feb. Asked about HRT and he said I would have to stop it four weeks before the op so best not to start it.
    SOB!

14. Ours is too! Hardly anyone is going and I think I'm probably going to be the oldest! And after last year's when I helpfully told our HT where he was going wrong and helpfully advised the school bike about tying her legs together, it will have to be a very low-alcohol event. In fact, I think I'll drive. In my sequin top, smart trousers and four inch patent heels. That reminds me, I haven't got a sparkly bag. It melted in the fire.

15. The best way to beat a hot flash is naturally. Hot flashes have a lot to do with the low levels of estrogen in your body, but other factors can cause your temperature control to go out of whack.

16. Those hot flushes have a lot to answer for.

17. Well the miracle cream for hot flushes sounds amazing. Bet they don't do trial samples!
    At $79 it's a bargain though!!
    LOL at Lily giving out advice at Xmas staff do ... I'm soooooo..... tempted but always end up driving them all home to make sure the young'ens get home before they pass out!

18. Well all us middle aged women on our staff form a frightening gang of marauding, shrieking drunken old bags out for a good time then bundle into the minibus home. Can't wait! Lily's advice sounds spot on! Why hold back! Nobody takes us seriously anyway!

19. Sounds like the seven dwarves of menopause: Itchy, Bitchy, Sweaty, Sleepy, Achey Forgetful and Psycho. Think I'm all seven some days.

bevdex likes this.