1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

meningitis and school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mimi1967, Feb 22, 2012.

1. I wonder if anyone can help.
    My sister has just been admitted to hospital with meningitis. I am worried sick about her and made the mistake of googling adult meningitis...does not make good reading.
    I have her children with me at the minute and am thinking about tomorrow and what to do with them.
    Does anyone know if it ok for them to go to school? My sister has been ill at home for about 24 hours so they have been in contact with her while she was developing it. Are they likely to be contagious?
    They are 11 and 9 and dont know how ill mummy is. Ideally I would like them in school as I think if we keep things normal it will be better for them, but I don;t want to put anyone else at risk of catching this evil illness.
    Thanks for any help you can give me
    Mimi

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

So sorry to hear about your sister - I do hope she is OK. This site may help: http://www.pkids.org/diseases/meningitis.html or maybe phone NHS DIrect? http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

3. Why not phone the hospital which is treating your sister and ask for advice? They would surely be best placed to know whether it is safe for the children to go to school. Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Most people who get it recover with no after effects, don't focus on the small % that get all the gory attention.

5. I can't offer any advice, just a little reassurance. When I was younger, my mother contracted meningitis- being the stubborn beastie that she is, she didn't go to the hospital until she was quite severe (curled up under her desk sobbing and was carried to the car by my stepfather)- she insists any illness is minor. She was in hospital for a week but recovered with no ill side effects.
    Just wanted to share to put your mind at ease a little; I know the horror stories are always the ones that jump out at you but they really are quite rare.
    My thoughts are with you and your family

6. Also some reassurance - the horror stories are really scary. We have posters up at school and they make my blood run cold every time but that only happens in a minority of cases. I was incredibly ill (although never life threatening) for a week or two but went on to make a full recovery.

7. Thank you.
    It is nice to hear stories of people making good recoveries. I guess you think it is never going to affect your family. I know she is receiving the best treatment she can get so hopefully within a few days we will see an improvement.
    Thanks again
    Mimi

8. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Antibiotics indicate Bacterial Meningitus which I think is more easily spread. The hospital would have kept the children in / tested them if they felt there was a risk of the infection spreading.