1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Men & their tools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 20, 2018.

?

Men, do you own a tool box?

1. Yes, it is beautifully organised and my pride and joy.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, it is indistinguishable from a rusty bear-trap.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No, it is my wife's pride and joy.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. No, I borrow my neighbours.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, if a job needs tools I hire someone with some.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I don’t have this with tools but I do the very same thing with my crafting stuff. If I had the time, space and resources I’d expand both out though, in the last few months I’ve been mulling over the notion of upcycling furniture.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Just because you see some trendy making a complete mess of an old bit of furniture some some poncy twit can buy it doesn't mean its a thing. I am reminded of that Harry Enfield sketch "I saw you coming".

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's useless if what you need is a pliers to steady a screw in on one hand and a screwdriver in the other hand!

I'm not a great fan of multi-tools. They purport to save you space in your toolbox but you just end up with individual versions of everything and the multi-tool

4. 10000YearsBC

10000YearsBC New commenter

Hand axes were too heavy for projectile or lance tips, but, as you say, they were used for butchering the beast after it had been brought down by other means. A skilled flint knapper could make one from a lump of flint in about 3 minutes, so they might even have been the first disposable tools. They had at least half a dozen different uses hand held - sometimes described as the Swiss army knife of the stone age.

border_walker likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Depends where you start. The Oldowan toolbox was a bit lacking, if I remember my archaeology correctly. Still I suppose one early Homo erectus could run up to the mammoth and give it a swift kick up the ar*e while another sneaked in and slit its throat. ;)

les25paul likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I thought mammoth hunting was mainly about chasing them off cliffs.

border_walker and Moony like this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Short supply, cliffs, especially on grasslands.

colpee likes this.
  8. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yeah, because I totally gave away every detail about what I’d been mulling over when I said that I’d been mulling it over. But hey, let’s just belittle someone for saying they’ve thought about doing a thing that would require learning new crafting skills and how to use various tools.

9. 10000YearsBC

10000YearsBC New commenter

Probably more about picking off the older or weaker stragglers from the herd rather than going for all out confrontation with groups of younger ones in their prime. Similar to hyena behaviour, and not as dramatic or heroic as the history book illustrations might have us believe.

border_walker likes this.
  10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It’s a great idea, my sister-in-law likes to do it. I think the secret is to concentrate on what you like whether its woodwork, painting or general tarting up and buy stuff that gives most satisfaction to work. Buy cheap, turn round quickish and be happy with a small profit.

Moony likes this.
  11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

But if you chased a mammoth off a cliff wouldn't it hurt when you landed in a crumpled mess at the bottom. :confused:

Personally I would chase them to the edge of the cliff but stop there whilst hoping the mammoths were moving too fast to stop themselves.

Alternatively invent the parachute a few centuries early and do the first base jump in history. :D

12. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yeah, I figured if I did start playing about with it I’d just start with thinks I can sand down and revarnish. Having some crafting skills already should help me get into it and I figured starting with tidying things up would be the best way to do it.

colpee likes this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

nomad likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

Been there over a month, too. Some teachers just can't bear seeing boys have fun.

lexus300, nomad and magic surf bus like this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

No problem, get two wrench-screwdriver-pliers-knife combos.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Upcycling is very easy to do badly, ie sandpapering the furniture in all the wrong places, where it wouldn't get worn by normal use. That just looks c rap, like this prime example I spotted in Wales:

crapcycling.jpg

Consequently I rarely bother with furniture, plus you need a lot of storage space for it when it's not selling.

If I 'upcycle' anything it's luggage cases. It's fairly easy to repair splits with polyurethane thread and a strong needle, then tart up the leather and brighten up the metal fittings. I don't bother sticking fake travel labels on them though.

17. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Seven people "liked" it, whatever it was.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Oh I like fun:D

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I missed it but think I know;)

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm guessing the offending item was the Benny Benassi 'Satisfaction' video? Empowertooled young women demonstrating their wares. 31m views on YouTube for some reason, given that they don't seem to be technically proficient in their use, and aren't wearing the correct safety equipment. Or much else for that matter.

Vince_Ulam likes this.