1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Men & their tools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 20, 2018.

?

Men, do you own a tool box?

1. Yes, it is beautifully organised and my pride and joy.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, it is indistinguishable from a rusty bear-trap.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No, it is my wife's pride and joy.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. No, I borrow my neighbours.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, if a job needs tools I hire someone with some.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. colpee

colpee Star commenter

That’s what they are! Yes me:)

kibosh likes this.
  2. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

I think that I have a pair, really old, among my collection of numberous pliers.

kibosh likes this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I use them for squeezing the crimps.

blazer and kibosh like this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

After all this time, AdChoices have returned my treasure to me:

upload_2018-7-1_21-37-35.png

nomad likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My latest fad is pallets. Blazer major has just moved house and has a log burner. They are very popular where he lives and fuel is expensive. So I have been scavenging pallets. Using a claw hammer and a crow bar I dismantle them, removing all nails and then saw the slats into suitable lengths. I then pack then into lettuce boxes from Tescos. I took him three boxes when we visited last week and have 6 more full in my garage waiting the next visit. 10 doors up a guy is having a new roof and there are 4 pallets in the front garden, so I will be popping up tomorrow to see if they are available.

border_walker and colpee like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Why not just nick his roof trusses?

;)

colpee and blazer like this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I used to do that, now I stand them up and slice down them with a chain saw, the nails fall out in the fire, much easier.

border_walker, colpee and blazer like this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

I'd be wary of throwing nails in the hearth: Fumes.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But if we did this then I wouldn't now have a big box of reclaimed nails!:)

Moony and Mangleworzle like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Eh? fumes of what exactly?

11. Vince_Ulam

From heating the metals. Low risk perhaps but cheap nails, no telling what kind of rubbish goes into them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    nomad likes this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Nails are steel, iron and carbon, anything else is more expensive, no-one is going to waste contaminating cheap iron with more expensive metals, not convinced.

13. Vince_Ulam

Yes, low risk like I said. All you need worry about is with what the wood's been treated. As long as it's originated within the EU should be fine.

14. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

If you are burning in a closed stove with an efficient flue and a tight door seal there should be no risk. Our wood-burner, the only form of heating in our main living room, chugs away 24x7 from mid October to the end of March. We change the door seal annually to maintain a slow, economical burn. We burn mainly olive wood, which is tarry, so opening the vents for a short daily blaze is essential to keep the chimney clear.

With regard to the OP, my son, whose DIY skills are near professional. knows the state of my motley collection of odds and ends, When I mentioned that I was thinking of building a tree house for the grandchildren he replied 'Better let me do it. But you'll need to buy me some tools.'

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Some nails are galvanised (often ones used for roofing). Zinc is highly toxic and would probably be released if a fire is hot enough. Ed on Wheelerdealers has warned about this when welding galvanised steel, though a wood fire shouldn't get that hot.

16. Ivartheboneless

I have always thought that "wood burners" breach laws on clean air, like the "clean air" acts of the 50s and 60s which forced a change from open coal fires. I read somewhere that some towns are cracking down on smoke. I blame it on these trendy designer types and such programmes on the telly. Having said that I have a fair amount of dead wood that someone could have (dead garden bench, dead fence panels, some bits and pieces). You can't just have a bonfire these days, and as I live right by a bypass I couldn't have smoke drifting over that.

17. 10000YearsBC

10000YearsBC New commenter

Multipurpose tool? Biface handaxe every time for me. :)

[​IMG]

18. Ivartheboneless

There are fewer wooly mammoths to hunt these days.

19. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Doubt that anyone hunted mammoths using a hand axe.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  20. Ivartheboneless

As it is "multi purpose" the hand axe was strapped to the end of a pole and became a spear. The hand axe would have been used for "butchering" after. (But we always have to have another smart ass don't we?)