1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Men & their tools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 20, 2018.

?

Men, do you own a tool box?

1. Yes, it is beautifully organised and my pride and joy.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, it is indistinguishable from a rusty bear-trap.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No, it is my wife's pride and joy.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. No, I borrow my neighbours.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, if a job needs tools I hire someone with some.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]

nomad and racroesus like this.
  2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Is this a variation on 'better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it'?

racroesus likes this.
  3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

This thread had me hooting with laughter earlier today. Such gleeful delight in tools and what they represent to their owner.

Bet none of you have got grozing pliers in yer toolbox? ;)

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There are different names for different pliers? I am such a beginner in the world of tools.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You mean you've managed to resist the ergonomic lust up until fairly recently :D

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I really wanted to tick (in the poll) that my toolbox was beautifully organised and my pride and joy . . . but it's not.

My shed tools are better organised and easy to find. My power tools cupboard, bits and bobs drawer, tool bucket (yes, i have a large bucket for large tools: various hand saws, large adjustable wrenches etc., and the many boxes of screws, nails, rawl plugs etc) and small gardening tools dumping ground is a bit disorganised. But everything has its place and I mostly know where to find things when I need them. I have a claw hammer in every room . . . only joking, I have 4 claw hammers in the tool bucket . . .you can never have enough claw hammers!!

The only tool I'm knowingly missing is this, and it would be very handy at work in the future

[​IMG]

Moony and les25paul like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And I thought my dry acerbic wit was recognised by all!

kibosh and racroesus like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I always used to enjoy telling the kids in the DT lessons that the correct name for a particular tool in the set was a 'ba5tard file'.

One parent complained that it was coarse but I told her that it was technically one cut finer than a coarse file but not as smooth as a second-cut file.

colpee, kibosh, nizebaby and 2 others like this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It is but your version has too many words for us guttersnipes.

kibosh likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I use small ones for making traces when I try to make them tidy looking.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He's a mere youngster yet.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Is that the same as a ******* rasp? In woodwork (what it was called before D&T) we used to love shouting across the workshop "Pass me that b@astard rasp"!

nomad likes this.
  13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have 3 of them in my cellar of different sizes and one in the shed lol///

14. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

I used to love my tool sets but when I moved to China I had to get rid of most of the stuff. There doesn't seem to be diy stores here and frankly it's much easier and cheaper to pay for someone to buy whatever it is you need replacing and to install it for you. May ship over a small basic tool bag of things (needs to be small as we live in a flat) when I come back in the summer and sort the last of my stuff out. Can't keep any of the electric things as the plugs are different. :(

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Can't you get adaptors?

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm lost now.

Get you with your 4 pairs of grozing pliers :):p

18. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

Yes. In my Dad's old tobacco tins. Over the years, I've had an assortment of cars and motorbikes, so over the last thirty six years I've accumulated a large 'collection' of parts, tools, and other 'useful bits' distributed among the old tobacco tins, tea chests, old tool boxes, you name it. Leaning up in a corner are the silencers for a Jawa I used for commuting, back in the Eighties. I've found things that I don't remember acquiring, belonging to vehicles we've never owned. I might as well 'come clean' and admit that I've got my father's old tool box, and his collection of bits and pieces that date back to the middle of the last century! If anyone needs a set of magneto spanners, I'm your man.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    les25paul likes this.
  19. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Very interesting video, Vince. Have you noticed that if you stare at it for a long time you eventually start to see power tools.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  20. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Also got a set, rarely used.