1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Men & their tools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 20, 2018.

?

Men, do you own a tool box?

1. Yes, it is beautifully organised and my pride and joy.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, it is indistinguishable from a rusty bear-trap.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No, it is my wife's pride and joy.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. No, I borrow my neighbours.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, if a job needs tools I hire someone with some.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I forgot my socket set which has its own box.

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I'm outraged at this video... Not one of them was wearing a dust mask!

silkywave and Vince_Ulam like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Many years ago I had a colleague in my dept who was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard when it came to DIY jobs. I was regularly fixing problems with his car and advising him on domestic DIY. So I bought him a tool at Christmas and at the end of each Summer term. 20 odd years later and he is now the HT and I am still the class teacher I have always been. But I still kept up the tool buying tradition. One year I bought him a tool box to put them in. When I retired he had a pretty comprehensive set of tools. He had also bought himself a shed to put them in! I bought him a 'man cave' sign for it.

Moony, Bedlam3 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

[​IMG]
    If you are from Birmingham, the only tool you'll ever need .....

elder_cat and blazer like this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have loads of those screwdrivers!

silkywave likes this.
  6. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

have tools in tool boxes, tend to be ones not used often, racks on the wall, prefered storage method, A4 drawer storage system, for smallish, items, shelves and wooden drawers often on one of the 2 benches - tend to be used a lot, but cleared awaywhen I need the space.. Do tend to have too many, but all have been used.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They had a very nice tool box for sale in Lidl today, I was tempted. However I settled for the weed killing flame gun instead.

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Exhaust system needs replacing on my car - quoted 450 quid by a garage, entire system is 80 quid online.

Yes, rusted bolts galore so need an angle grinder.

So I have ordered a new system and the angle grinder. This is it folks....I'm going in....

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

This morning I was setting up the mitre saw I bought ages ago from Lidl because the price was good, but it started raining so it still hasn’t been christened. The rain also spoiled no2 job of replacing garden tap, so plumbing tools were re-stowed too.

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its probably OK for something to keep in a pocket, car glove box or on a boat for quick and simple jobs. For anything more serious you need the proper tool.

If you really want a useful gadget spend a bit more cash and buy a Leatherman (or Gerber Multi-tool). No respecting military/emergency services personnel (serving or ex) or general "outdoor bod" goes anywhere without one.

[​IMG]

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mrs B hates shopping with me if there may be tools available. We popped into a charity shop a couple of weeks back and there was a beautiful, unused tile cutter for a fiver. It came home with us and now sits on a shelf in the shed. Not sure when i might get round to needing it :)

colpee, border_walker and phlogiston like this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have one of those! Kept it in my ice hockey tool box.

13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My experience is that multitools look seductive but are only really useful for places where you don't really keep tools, like the desk drawer at work so you can try to fix things when needed

les25paul likes this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It isn't just tools. Do you save bits and pieces?

In various drawers, boxes and jars I have door handles, hinges, catches, locks, plug sockets, switches, light sockets plus boxes and boxes of reclaimed nuts, bolts, screws, nails, cup hooks, picture hooks etc

15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

As a female, I am SOO tempted to write "What's a tool box?" and then simper and giggle. ;)

les25paul and nomad like this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

As long as you don't mind me saying "What's an iron" I'm OK with it.

border_walker, nomad and mothorchid like this.
  17. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

In matchboxes.

18. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Well I have several tool boxes but couldn't do the survey as I ain't a man.
    Trouble is I can't lift the bloomin things as they are too heavy. Until next door sorts out the roof leak to his garage I am not about to put up racks in the garage.Stuff will get rusty.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sadly somebody introduced the mad woman who lives on the other side of our back hedge to power tools and she never stops using the ruddy things. Her current fad is chopping up pallets and making sheds out of them. Either that or she's making dodgy power tool promo videos for rednecks.

nomad and Mangleworzle like this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On a different tack, not long ago I bought two large boxes full of second hand tools at an auction for not much. I brought them home, emptied them and my existing toolboxes out into the garden then proceeded to make up four basic tool kits out of them. My kids got a household tool kit each, I put one in the camper van and kept one for the house. Saved a lot of pennies there I reckon.

Moony, blazer, border_walker and 2 others like this.