1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Men in the Primary School-how do you cope?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skekenio, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Hey there. Just wondering how any of you other red-blooded, regular blokes cope with the excess of oestregen in the primary staffroom? I don't think I can hack another conversation on furniture and cake shops. :) Don't mean to offend but any successful coping mechanisms in place???? Cheers.

2. It is not just the men that feel that way I can assure you!!!

But then Our staff is half male half female and the talk is mostly sport! I can deal with that.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

furniture and cake shops? Oh dear that sounds like a boring staffroom :(

Come join ours - only one male but we manage some interesting conversations ;) lol

4. Not male but hate the conversations about cookery and clothing. Much prefer to talk about sport!!! Rugby especially!!

5. i would be quite happy to talk ABOUT a red-bloodied bloke mmmm mmmmm!!!!

6. Loads of rugby talk at my school.

7. Not enough rugby talk at mine or sport for that matter and they think I am odd being into sport.

Well actually I am odd ;)

8. Better odd than dull.

9. Have been the token bloke for 9 years now!! Love it!! Staffroom conversations are hilarious. I can be the red blooded male when i talk to/ see my non teaching uni friends.

10. Ha ha! i'm as red blooded as they come!

11. man501

man501 New commenter

Why is it so important to be seen (or act) as 'red blooded' and more importantly why is that 'regular'? You are who you are in my opinion.

12. What's the alternative? Blue blooded I suppose!

13. It's not just about staff room banter its about general approach to the job! The more men the more gets done and quicker. It may sometimes be raggy around the edges, but that can be tidied later. Men try ideas, evaluate and chuck them out if rubbish. Women spend endless time debating if it will work, end up trying it and carrying on wether it works or not. It's nature.
    The best schools have balance.......(with men making the final decision!)

Bait laid........ and it only took me thirty seconds to decide to write it!

14. Predictable.....delayed.......response.
    This is a beat.
    This is a ................ pause.
    This....................................................................................................is a silence.
    (Harold Pinter)

15. manic28

manic28 New commenter

In our school, we have 3 female and 7 male teaching staff in the juniors. No men in infants. Staff room conversation normally me flirting with the females.

Harmless fun. x

16. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

..and the time spent in staff meetings discussing trivial and pathetic things when a man would decide in 2 minutes and just say 'right, we're doing that'

17. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I would normally jump in and say middle schools are the solution to this, however have just chaged schools for one year to another middle school and although the staff is fairly mixed (even half and hafl support staff) their is a lot of waffling and staff meetings go on forever, while every little issue is debated. :( Some of the blokes are the worst offendors!)

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our HT and DH are both male and are fine. Another male teacher is also more or less as capable as the women of making decisions and not worrying about the consequences. The other three male teachers are just as you describe and drive all the rest of the staff (male and female) nuts.

Can't imagine why staffrooms have to have male and female topics of conversation. Ours sometimes is more football orientated and sometimes more foodie, but all staff have opinions on both.

To be entirely honest, surely anybody embarking on a teaching career is fully aware that primary schools tend to have more women than men working in them. If someone wants to work in a male dominated environment (and will go mad in a female one) then primary teaching is probably not for them.

19. Never bothered me about being the only man in the school - been that way for about the past three or four years now. If there's conversations about things I want to join in on, then fine; if not, no problem.