1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

men in early years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by joolstemplars, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Hi I am in my final year of an early years degree and for my dissertation i am looking at male practitioners and what influence they have over play.I want to know if there are certain kinds of play that are encouraged more by a practitioners gender. If anyone has any experience or opinions please feel free to help me! If there are any male practitioners who would be willing to chat to me about there experience i would be very grateful

2. I work alongside a male teacher and his classes play is similar to mine. I do think it is a huge benefit to have a male teacher for a good, strong male role model for both genders, but especially boys. The boys enjoy the company of the male teacher. And he knows lots about dinosaurs, which goes down a storm and may therefore encourage more dinosaur play and also means he can pronounce all the names of the Harry and his bucket full of dinosaurs books! (you obviously don't have to be male to know lots about dinosaurs before I upset anyone!)